• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire restrictions between residential buildings

Swanbrano

GREENHORN
I am in a bit of a battle with an inspector as it relates to R302. I have two buildings o. The same lot with a clearance of 4’4” which meets setbacks. In R302 I understand there is to be no openings on one of the buildings when the imaginary line has been put in. The buildings them become less the 3’ apart. My question is due to both buildings being required to be one hour fire rated can’t I put in a one hour fire rated door in the opening of the one building that is self close to meet the one hour fire rating?

Your question is unclear. Please clarify:
  1. What is the physical distance between the two buildings?
  2. where does the imaginary lot line fall relative to the two buildings?
  3. What code is this under?
If the buildings are physically 4'-4" apart, they don't become 3'-0" apart because someone draws a line on a site plan.

Nonetheless, I think the answer to your question is that, under the Residential Code, no openings are allowed -- period.

ICC 2021 IRC Commentary:

Unlike the IBC, the code does not set a distance
from the property line at which openings must be protected.
Openings are not permitted in exterior walls
where the exterior wall has a fire separation distance
of less than 3 feet (914 mm) from the lot line. In addition,
for unsprinklered buildings, Table R302.1(1)
requires that the total area of the openings in a wall
with a fire separation distance that is equal to or
greater than 3 feet (914 mm), but less than 5 feet
(1525 mm) from the lot line, be less than 25 percent of
the maximum wall area [see Commentary Figures
R302.1(2) and R302.1(3)].

Last edited: