• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sidewall sprinkler heads / obstruction

Steve S

Hello, hope all is well for everyone. I'm new here and my name is Steve. I'm a 3rd year Sprinkler fitter apprentice .

I saw this the other day in a basement so please lmk what you guys think ? All help is greatly appreciated .

Obstruction yes or no ? Sidewall sprinkler heads/line in a basement and a 4" fdc line running in front of the 1-1/2" sidewall line but lower and flush with the sidewalls. It's all exposed piping.

Welcome

Two ways to post

Become a paying/ supporting member of the forum and upload pictures

Or make the picture a link and post the link

We would like your support and the cost is very little compared to the vast knowledge you tap into

Restate the obstruction please

Sounds like it is an obstruction

Is that how the plans show to install all the pipe???

b73884368dc7652c9e8527bd289b534e-full.jpg

Just answering the four inch pipe location:

I think though not pretty, it is ok as far as sidewall location, in relation to the four inch.

What brand and model is the sidewall??????

Last edited:
My question as an inspector is

Is the wood above, in the last picture, fire resistive treated????

If not than the fire sprinkler protection is wrong, because of that.

And rethinking, would have to look at 13, but I think the sidewall is to far down from the actual ceiling.

There may be bigger problems than the four inch question.

520ecb0ec9e2bcdf4ff47d327646c8f8-full.jpg

Restate the obstruction please

Sounds like it is an obstruction

Is that how the plans show to install all the pipe???

This particular job the drawings don't work, it's more of a pipe and protect as you go. Since the job started the designer was in over his head and left it up to the guys in the Field. Not one part of the prints ever worked bc something or other ..

This particular job the drawings don't work, it's more of a pipe and protect as you go. Since the job started the designer was in over his head and left it up to the guys in the Field. Not one part of the prints ever worked bc something or other ..[/QUOT

Not good at all

Not good at all

My question as an inspector is

Is the wood above, in the last picture, fire resistive treated????

If not than the fire sprinkler protection is wrong, because of that.

And rethinking, would have to look at 13, but I think the sidewall is to far down from the actual ceiling.

There may be bigger problems than the four inch question.

View attachment 3750

so what are the answers to these questions????

and what brand and model is the sidewall???

I think most sidewall are listed for smooth ceilings only!!!!

Which without 13, can not define, but I do not think that building basement qualifies

May say something like """""""""""a continuous ceiling free from significant irregularities. lumps, and indentations"""""""""""""

http://www.tyco-fire.com/TD_TFP/TFP/TFP120_08_2018.pdf

Last edited:
I am thinking as an ahj, I would write something along the line as installation does not meet NFPA 13,

System not approved,

Re pipe and call for re inspection.

Plus I would not put my name or the companies name on this install, especially when you walk into court and try to defend it, after the building burns to the ground.

so what are the answers to these questions????

and what brand and model is the sidewall???

Viking Fire Sprinkler 5.6K Chrome Horizontal Sidewall SR 155F | VK104

I was told that in fact the wood is fire resistant Everywhere else down there has uprights but in that particular area it has side walls bc of obstructions. I came months after that section was complete.

Myself personally I don't think it is an obstruction but I think it flirts with obstruction, it's that fine line that I want to learn about more. I'm so glad I found this forum bc I'm dealing with pepeop who Kno codes well and has more experience than me ..

Viking Fire Sprinkler 5.6K Chrome Horizontal Sidewall SR 155F | VK104

I was told that in fact the wood is fire resistant Everywhere else down there has uprights but in that particular area it has side walls bc of obstructions. I came months after that section was complete.

Myself personally I don't think it is an obstruction but I think it flirts with obstruction, it's that fine line that I want to learn about more. I'm so glad I found this forum bc I'm dealing with pepeop who Kno codes well and has more experience than me ..

All of the wood???