• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How fine a line do you draw "independent" in R202: Dwelling Unit?

ewenme

Sawhorse
When you read the definition of dwelling unit in R202, what import do you place on 'independent'? I draw a very specific line that includes independent: electrical service, plumbing/water/sewer service; heating/mechanical/air circulation; and means of egress. In other words, dwelling units, as in a duplex, do not 'talk' to each other in any respect: i.e., there is no door between them, but there is a one-hour fire separation wall; and the heat, electric, plumbing, ventilation, etc., is independent one from the other. Am I putting too fine a line on this?

You wouldn't be off base in my neck of the woods, we require complete independence. I always describe it as that in a multiple unit building, the one in the middle could theoretically burn to the ground and not have an impact on the adjacent units. Unrealistic expectation, but hopefully at least lessens the longer term impacts.

It depends. There are cross overs where 2-family and multiple dwelling units on one lot could share a boiler, water heater, main water supply and sewer line, all main disconnects on one of the units exterior wall, etc. thus a failure will create an inconvenience to more than one unit.

Francis

My reading is that a person living in the dwelling unit must have the cooking, eating, sanitary etc as listed without sharing or infringing on the other unit. I do not read this to be talking about the separation for fire or utilities.

Architect1281 said:
Independent would be one did not depend on the other, no one gets to see the wizard, not no way, not no how! sort of what fatboy said...
One doesn't depend on the other. They both depend on the common services. Jeez, read the code and stop making stuff up.