• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

lead lined walls

BSSTG

Gold Member
Greetings all,

I have a lead lined wall around a CT room. Would this require special inspection?

thanksabunch

BSSTG

You should be able to handle the inspections....long ago I did a few without special inspection....but that doesn't mean anything to a guy in Texas....I'm not aware of an ICC certification that would cover that....talk to your health dept.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done many of them and since the lead is adhered to the back of drywall the only inspection is sheetrock nailing inspection and the lead isn't inspected. There are places in the wall like outlets that lead is formed and placed in the wall but I've never seen it inspected.

I think also one of them "alphabet" agencies also regulates the ct rooms and may do an inspection

cda said:
I think also one of them "alphabet" agencies also regulates the ct rooms and may do an inspection
That's my recollection too but I can't remember that far back....it might have been a dept. in my AHJ....maybe a separate plan check....whatever it was, it wasn't extraordinary....or all that memorable....now what were we talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last one we did, the supplier of the CT equipment did a certification inspection but it wasn't lead on the back of the rock, it was attached to the studs. There were no electrical boxes in the walls. Everything was surface mounted.

If they fall under the building code, then special inspection could be required. If they don't, it's not a building code issue.

mtlogcabin said:
The supplier of the equipment has always gives us very specific details for installation all the way down to spacing of the fasteners and spacing of the drywall screws. I can't recall any two being exactly the same. For what it's worth, we've seen a lot less of lead lined rooms than we used to. I understand the equipment has become more efficient lessening the need for lead rooms.

Old thread, but for future reference, there is not a special cert for installing or inspecting radiation shielding. There is one for abatement of lead though.
Lead shielding must always overlap per NCRP 147 (typically a minimum of 1/2"). The federal minimum height for lead shielding is 7 foot so you will often see 7' high lead on 8' high board. But this case change to full height with a lead lined ceiling if there is occupancy above.
The physicist shielding report is required before anything is done in the room because it will determine the lead thickness requirements. The thickness requirements of the lead can only be determined by a radiation physicist. You should check the thickness with a micrometer to make sure it matches the report. Every room is different, and every wall in the room could have different lead thicknesses also.
Lead glass is easy, it will always have a yellow hue and should be labeled with the lead equivalency.
Radiation is linear and acts like a light, so anywhere there is a gap, there will be radiation leakage, which is never allowed, but it cannot bend around corners. For more info, check libertyshielding.com