• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Your Career

Now back to the questions at hand..........

It's not about you, practice exceptional customer service.

Develop the ability to explain why something is non-compliant. (learn the adopted code and referenced codes)

Choose your battles.

Read MT's answers.

OR

Like I teach the new firefighters......

Bench 250

Cook 350

Pick up your check every 2 weeks

Happy Father's Day.....all applicable!

Here is a brief response! This would have to do with meetings on new applications and some things apply to everything.

1. Listen well! & listen some more before putting mouth in operation.

2. Be a man/women who is always grounded and true to their word.

3. Develop questions that will lead to a better understanding of the project. Leave the I know all attitude at home and conduct the meeting in the spirit of how can I approve this application. That will perhaps allow less NO answers.

4. Reserve real comment until you have reviewed all the code issues and info provided. Do your home work. Read the code and then read it again! Even after years of doing this I find I tend make mistakes when I assume the code says this when in fact it does not.

5. Education: With every thing one does try to teach. Continue to learn and strive for excellence.

Thanks! Oh large one! There is a great deal more then just meetings I believe we would all agree on that point. That was just the tip of the hook. Problem for me is that now at my age and time in the industry " I have no time for stupid " and have to correct myself / bite my tongue most of the day.

= = =

Excellent discussions and input so far!.......Keep it coming!

Next Question: In your present position, you see a "supervisor / colleague /

subordinate doing something inappropriate [ RE: against the written AHJ

policies ].....Do you:

1) "Rat them out" to someone over them that can actually do something

about it, or

2) Go to that person to discuss, possibly counsel them on their activity, or

3) Do nothing at all and wait for the karma bus to come around to solve the

situation, or

4) other ?

Essentially, is it in your job expectations to correct someone, ...even a

supervisor or a subordinate "NOT" under your direct supervision ?

What say ye ?

= = =

I would have to take #2 first, then if no results, and the resulting activity could be a life safety issue, or a public debacle for the office, then move to #1, or #4 if I don't think the situation will be corrected, time to move on to another pasture..........

If would depend on the issue! If it was a hill worth dying on I would do all of the above. However, I would first handle it with the person that has crossed the line. Giving ample time to correct the problem.

= & = & =

Thanks to all for your input!

Next Question: You have received a request for an interview; with that

Greener Pasture, and after the [ _____ ] interview, they want to offer

you the position......In their offer, ...they verbally offer you this, that &

the other......Would you request their offer and the associated bennies

& perks in writing [ i.e. - their proposal ], or would you accept their

offer of employment, with nothing in writing, ...verbally only ?

Sometimes, having something in writing seems to have more credibility

to it.

I'm thinking of the gub`mint Greener Pastures moreso than the private

sector, but I would like to hear your input and experiences either way!

Thanks !

& = & = &

When accepting and starting a new position, for most rank and file employees (us), there is going to be a time to see if things fit . . . and it is going to be a two way street. I have always been happy, when accepting a position, to shake hands to seal an agreement and move forward in good faith. Likewise. I pretty much "punch the clock" each day in good faith that on average, my employer wants me here and believes they are getting their money's worth.

Should they come to believe differently, I'll move on because I would not last long in that environment. One important idea is to remember who your boss is. When the chain of command or lack thereof becomes confusing in a world where so many elected and apppointed positions and officials exist, let the confusion remain theirs.

I believe that is a policy choice of the jurisdiction. I received a written offer, which I was asked to sign, and which I was bound to along with the City. Good practice, and one that potential employees should appreciate, and take very seriously. When you sign, you are signifying that you understand the job, the requirements, the expectations, the pay, and the parameters that affect you. I look at it as binding to both sides; however, there is that 'probationary' period that you also agree to. If it doesn't work out for either party, then it's part ways with no regrets. :)

For me to jump ship after 16 years in my current position, I would have to see and sign some sort of commitment.

It is nice to have it in writing, but any agreement can be broken. Been on both sides of that issue and far too many to discuss. However, I have always been a man of my word, so a gentleman's agreement I will always honor to the last breath. That ain't so for most of the world. I pick only those I believe will honor the same commitment which I am willing to commit to.

Quit a position I had 25 years invested in. Had enough of the political BS at least from that group. Now the sky is the limited and when I find the right fit, I will know! A piece of paper will never come close to be the end all.

= : = : =

Overall good discussion !.......Keep the comments and experiences coming.

Next Question: In your career; wherever you have been employed and for

whatever amount of time there, ...do you believe that you have a made a

positive difference in that location ?

This answer can be addressed in any number of ways [ i.e. - thru adoption

of model codes where there were none previously, ...interpretation &

administration of the various adopted codes, ...by providing a competent,

educational voice to the community, contractors, city officials, others,

...costs savings to that employer, ...increased any training opportunities to

employees / others, ...and on and on and on and on. ]

FWIW, ...I have observed that as code officials, for the most part, we

want to do the right thing, ...to actually help others and make a positive

difference wherever we are, ...money, perks & bennies not withstanding.

Some even go the full ride of 30+ years in this profession [ RE: **Mule**

and others ]..........Just getting some perspective from you all !

Thanks for your input !

: = : = :

Yes I do believe I made a positive difference over the years. If nothing else, I keep good relations with contractors, they are the users of our services. Most homeowners don't have an understanding of code enforcement. A consistent professional approach earns you credibility.

Most mayors, town supervisors, and council members just want to hear "everything is fine in the building dept". Hint - they also care more about the local laws, planning and zoning than about state-adopted building codes. Try to keep the Planning and Zoning boards in the loop and I usually have applications for them every month.

My current mayor has a history of serving on Planning and Zoning boards, and is very supportive. She understands the terminology - speaks the lingo, sort of.

If you like your job, stick with it.. the whole greener pastures thing can be fatal to your career.. for those of us not working for jurisdictions, we are frequently bound by non compete agreements.

In the twilight of my career, I prefer to stay put thank you very much.

Earlier today, I posted in Sawhorse, vindicated.. I left a really wonderful place for what I thought was going to be better benefits and a shorter commute.. and it was a mistake.

A mistake I learned from.. I ended up with a really good offer that I declined.. the atmosphere was just too much like the toxic environment I left.. the unsaid tension was not too deep under the surface...

maybe it's just me.. 4 years, I get to start collecting military retirement.

I recently received an offer. It was verbal, with an emailed version that followed. Maybe it would have been different if I was local but it was an out of state position. The thing is, whether its verbal or written it is still only as honorable as the people who give it. I tend to interview employers as much as they interview me and make the same judgement calls they do as to whether I want to work for them or not. I needed to relocate to this area anyway so based on my judgement I had no problem accepting it. But I can see being nervous if you are leaving an established position without some level of certainty. Many years ago in a different career I was given an iron-clad, very detailed contract for employment to leave one company and go to another, which I did. It was iron-clad right up until they decided it wasn't anymore. My choice was to file suit or move on. Maybe I could have gotten somewhere, maybe not but I just moved on. They were banking on the fact that the little guy usually doesn't have the resources to take 'em on, and they were right. Who wants to spend years and treasure fighting with someone who doesn't want you around anyway?

I feel I have made a difference.....had a lot of things that we were enforcing before, that I have made legit by policy, or adopted amendments. Have tried to be consistent in how we interpreted the code.

Sifu.. I did the same thing with the toxic environment from which I now feel some vindication. I could have fought, but I didn't have the resources for what would have been a prolonged battle. (Primarily since the jurisdications' attorney was the same firm I hired to handle a personal matter). I'll say it again, unless there is an overarching reason to leave, it's probably better to stay where you are.

If you are really, truly miserable in your current job OR you realize the deck is stacked against you for some reason you can't overcome.. then consider leaving.

The hard thing for me in my current situation is I like where I am, especially compared to where I was a year ago (except the commute!). Never worked with a better, smarter more open minded group before. Circumstances require a move, not misery. I can only hope things will be similar where I end up. I do believe one thing, though sometimes I need reminded of it; I have the power to help make my own environment better....or worse. I try to be positive, contribute and most importantly not assist with or allow myself to be trapped by someone elses misery. I think its amazing the affect one persons attitude can have on a group, whether its good or bad. Of course some of us have been places where no matter what we do the poison is too strong so its just better to back up and punt. I will say, all of my bad experiences have led to better ones, I guess thats karma!

Good info so far !.......Thought I would "stoke the fire" again to continue this thread.

Next Question: In these very tough economic times [ for some ], ...what, if anything,

are you doing to add value to yourself, and to [ hopefully ] not get laid off or forced

retirement ?

Some examples might be: Working some "volunteer" hours, ...learning to become

fluent in a software application, ...taking some after hours courses/classes, ...paying

for your own certifications & testing, ...taking some online courses, and on and on and

on.

I have become more involved with our State Chapter, Code Changes, serving on the BOD. This enhances my knowledge of the codes, and what may be coming up, thus benefitting the jurisdiction.

# ~ # ~ #

Greetings again to you all !

Thought I would resurrect this Topic to see if anyone has some experiences

[ good or bad ] that you want to share, ...insights, ...questions, or other.

Again, ...IMO, anonymity is recommended, plus I do not know how someone

could realistically "slam" a particular location \ employer, and come out

maintaining any integrity.

O.K, ...let the discussion continue ! ..and "Thanks" !.......Maybe someone

will benefit from this Topic ! :cool:

# ~ # ~ #

""""That's not for a coach to comment on. It's just like it would be if you were lieutenant colonel and you're on your seventh deployment in Vietnam and you see some things. You see there's no way democracy is going to gain traction here and maybe you've lost some of your own troops and some of your own men in battle, but yet that's not your call. ...

"That's a bigger position that comes from beyond you. Your job is to serve and it's your job to follow orders, as it would be for that lieutenant colonel, too. ... Maybe if you realize it's 1972 and we've lost 52,000 of my fellow compatriots and you see things from a little different viewpoint and yet that's not your job. Your job is not to be that aware or have that kind of perspective. It's not. Your job is to follow orders.

"To answer your question directly, it's not the coach's job. ... It's just not your job. As a soldier and as a troop, you're right at the tip of spear, you know what gives you the best chance to win or maybe to obliterate the enemy. ...

"But your job is to serve and to follow orders and you put both heels and your toes at the 45 and you salute. That's your job. That's your job as a solider and as a coach, too.""""