• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Average day 5-15-13

The roofer nailed the job card to the building. Those nails are set too...it's gonna take a catspaw.

ICE said:
Owner builder:The only permit is a building permit to build a 450 sq. ft. room addition. They requested an under-slab plumbing inspection.

No wonder there's a problem. The workers have no heads and and can't see!

BSSTG

Every now and then the subject of pier blocks comes up and whether or not they are any good. They're doing a good job here. Well that's as long as we don't get strong winds. Strong enough to pick the tents up and beat the Hell out of the cars with those concrete feet.

The stucco is not attached to the framing because the nails rusted and the wood rotted. The plan is to screw it to framing that has been added from the inside and then top coat the walls.

Edison is storing wire.

That ⬆ was the house to my left .... this ⬇ is the house to my right.

And this ⬇ is the house that I was standing on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The inspection was for a caisson the will support a cell tower. This 3' section of the rebar cage caught my attention. The caisson was to be 20' deep and water was found at 19'. The drilling stopped and three feet of the cage was cut off because the sides caved and to get clearance to the dirt they had to remove steel.

There was 6' of water in the hole. The plan was to lift the cage out of the mud and get a tremie to the bottom and push the water up as well as pump the water out.

I was assured that the engineer was on board with this. The deputy inspector was there so we went over an acceptable procedure and I didn't give any approval pending written instructions from the engineer. I also made it clear that they would need to get an approval of the shortened caisson from my engineer.

Last edited:
When I write the correction about over bored top plates, I always include the Simpson product number so that they get the right strap.

Here is a homeowners effort:

This is a contractor's best effort:

Licensed general contractor.

Backwater valve.

I had them open it. The flapper wouldn't budge because glue ran down the barrel and glued the flapper in place.

They had no clue that the valve has to remain accessible.

They were ready to lower the gas pipe into the trench.

Sometimes I feel like I have to do all of the thinking.

It's the next day.

Yesterday there was no head test and I asked for one.

Looking at the right side of the lid you can see water on the upper most part. It is a trail about 1' wide and it appears as though the water is draining off the lid because the lid has a recessed area.

That is not true at all. The water is actually climbing the side of the housing and filling the recess in the lid.

So I say to the contractor, "It's leaking".

He says, "That's normal. I checked with the company sales rep and he says that it's normal and sewers aren't under pressure so I doesn't matter".

I say, "Call this sales rep please".

The sales rep assured me that all is okay.

I had them remove the lid. The flapper is gone. The leak is a damaged o-ring. I says right there on the lid, hand tighten. That doesn't mean your hand and a 2x4. Each time they have opened it for me it required a 2x4.

You know, these guys built a house. I've posted pictures. I must give them credit for one thing....it could have been sooooo much worse than it is.

Artist or electrician...neither one...hvac contractor.

Solar contractors are worse than hvac contractors.

I wonder if anyone logs onto this site like it is a how to site and only looks at the pictures and says to themselves "Oh, now I see how to do that"

jar546 said:
I wonder if anyone logs onto this site like it is a how to site and only looks at the pictures and says to themselves "Oh, now I see how to do that"
Wait, are Ice's pictures not part of his new How-To book?

It's not really a 'How To...' book. It's a DON'T DO THIS apprentice training that's worth its weight in gold! Just proves that some people's creative skills and thinking skills are disconnected. One has to appreciate the journeyman apprentice practices that propel novices into professionals. Too bad the trades are under-appreciated in this day and age. sigh.

Re: Average day 5-15-13

jar546 said:
The pictures are very helpful but what would make it even better is for the person posting any of these to provide some explanation of the code issues for those of us still learning.

Well this is the third trip to inspect a sewer backwater valve. The one that they ruined has been replaced with an upgrade model. They were eager to fill it with water.

Here they are cutting the new valve out of the sewer pipe.

Because it leaks.

This is the glue that was used....didn't work....the can is 11 years old....several joints didn't leak but the joint for the extension leaked all the way around the pipe so I suspect a fit problem as well as a glue mistake..

Anyway, they knew that it leaked so they smeared ABS glue on top of the green glue.

I know that all of you inspectors run into suspect construction. I hate when that happens if it is some shot pile of junk. Today a re-roof inspection resulted in a carport, patio cover and front porch being condemned. I came away from it wondering why anyone would have a garden rake with a 12' handle.

I don't know what they were thinking. The font is so small that I can't read it.

10431195946_72b9fd8347_o.jpg

10431189846_5215722bca_o.jpg

Last edited:
10431196545_1f4e988c3c_o.jpg

A 67 sq. ft. bathroom has been planted on the back of a house. The contractor is convinced that he can make this work without relocating the el. service enclosure.

Last edited: