• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator in a residence?

Buelligan

I see no reference to elevators in the IRC. So what does that mean in terms of residential compliance? Would the requirements of Chapter 30 in IBC apply to a residence? Would you require any 3rd party inspection by a certified inspector? Would there be any requirements beyond the residential fire stopping? Would there be a difference between just a dumbwaiter and a people carrying elevator? I feel Chapter 30 is a bit much for a residential setting but how do you pick and choose what applies if it does? Anybody else see them in a house? This is going into an 11,000 SqFt home with 9 bay garage and indoor Olympic pool! Now they want an elevator! So I thought you guys might save me a little research time! :banghd

Thanks!

I've only seen one elevator in the relatively short time I've been doing this and that was in my first month. I seem to remember that the elevator had to have a state inspection. Not sure.

Buelligan,

If possible, can you obtain the manufacturer's requirements on your elevator application? If you know

the manufacturer & model number, you can usually find it online.

I have only ever seen one elevator in a single family structure. I wouldn't even really call it an elevator really, more like an oversized bank tube. We required the builder to get a special inspector.

We require review, inspection, and approval from our elevator consultant.

The Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) regulates all conveyances in the State, with the exception of those within single family dwellings.

mj

2009 IRC

SECTION R321

ELEVATORS AND PLATFORM LIFTS

R321.1 Elevators.

Where provided, passenger elevators, limited-use/limited-application elevators or private residence elevators shall comply with ASME A17.1.

R321.2 Platform lifts.

Where provided, platform lifts shall comply with ASME A18.1.

R321.3 Accessibility.

Elevators or platform lifts that are part of an accessible route required by Chapter 11 of the International Building Code , shall comply with ICC A117.1.

Bingo! Thanks mtlogcabin. I did a keyword search in ICC folio View and nothing showed up in IRC. I was going to thumb through the book this morning, you saved me some time THANKS!!!