• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An exercise in interpolation IRC Table 502.5(1)

jar546

Forum Coordinator
What is the maximum prescriptive span capability of a double 2x10 header on an exterior first floor wall that supports a center bearing floor above, ceiling and roof with a 40# ground snow load for a building 28' wide?

How many jack studs are required on each side of the header?

jar546 said:
I think you know the answer but typed in the wrong one. Try again please.
Whoops! How does 5'-10" and 2 jack studs on each side sound?

Rio said:
Whoops! How does 5'-10" and 2 jack studs on each side sound?
I would have to say that I agree with you because I got the same answer. Either we are both right or we both made the same mistake. I'll explain how I think we came to the same conclusion.

Remember we are looking for a 40# GSL which is not on the Table so we have to split the difference between the 30 & 50

Using Table 502.5(1) from the IRC, I went down to the section that supports a center bearing floor above, ceiling and roof. When I took the row for (2)2x10 and went to the 28' wide column under the 30psf GSL, I got 6'2" of maximum span.

I then continued over to the same column in the 50# GSL for a 28' wide building and got 5'6". Both required double jack studs for this header size. The difference between 5'6" and 6'2" is 8" so we split the difference and have a choice of either subtracting 4" from 6'2" or adding it to 5'6". Either way we come up with 5'10".

So the answer is that the maximum span for a double 2x10 header on an exterior wall that supports a center-bearing floor above, ceiling and roof with a 40# GSL is 5'10" and must include double jack studs.

If, however, the 30 had given us single jack studs and the 50 gave us double jack studs, I would err on the side of caution and require 2 jack studs just to be safe.