• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Kick-out and step flashing R905.2.8.3

atkins

Bronze Member
Hi, According to R905.2.8.3:"Flashing against a vertical sidewall shall be by the step-flashing method. The flashing shall be a minimum of 4 inches (102 mm) high and 4 inches (102 mm) wide. At the end of the vertical sidewall the step flashing shall be turned out in a manner that directs water away from the wall and onto the roof and/or gutter."Would the following pictures indicate violations of the code?

View attachment 1882

View attachment 1883

I think I see continuous flashing instead of step flashing.View attachment 1882

View attachment 1883

/monthly_2013_07/45-P1050848.JPG.071ad8de35fc6c8f69b503c89b88028b.JPG

/monthly_2013_07/48-P1050851.JPG.226ccd2485d2149eec5ded25b0781cdc.JPG

Hi to you too...and yes that is wrong.

With out step flashing, the water doesn't come back out on top of a shingle. With the vinyl channel sitting on the shingles, water will be held there and drying will take a long time. There is no diverter shingle to kick the water but there is a slice in the siding.

Kick-out and step flashing R905.2.8.3

Not a compliant installation without step flashing. Must be redone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That channel is directing all of the water that falls into it behind the slit in the wall siding.

Hello,

This is an update I received from the builder:

"The local Building Official has inspected and signed off on the installation and it is his and many professional opinions that the vinyl J–channel acts as the necessary diverter."

Is the builder correct? Can this IRC be waived? If the home inspector disagrees and calls it out, won't the home owner be the one to pay to make it compliant?

Thanks.

I think your "builder" has nekked pictures of the building official whipping leather with Anthony 'Carlos Danger' Weiner.

Brent.

Under the 2012 IRC, the word "continuous" was added along with "step". There is a proposal to take it out in the 2015, but it was disapproved by the committee. A public comment is in asking for approval at the final vote this week.

All that code stuff aside, the manufacturer's usually specify step flashing and it's a very, very good idea. Continuous flashing, like with tile roofs, needs the roll at the edge.

Glenn said:
Under the 2012 IRC, the word "continuous" was added along with "step". There is a proposal to take it out in the 2015, but it was disapproved by the committee. A public comment is in asking for approval at the final vote this week.All that code stuff aside, the manufacturer's usually specify step flashing and it's a very, very good idea. Continuous flashing, like with tile roofs, needs the roll at the edge.
The house was built in 2012 and so the town and state of NH uses IRC 2009 for that. Thanks for the info.

atkins said:
The house was built in 2012 and so the town and state of NH uses IRC 2009 for that. Thanks for the info.
I presumed as much. I was just adding the anecdote for the conversation. These codes are making my head hurt lately. :)

Zooming in on the first photo it looks like there is step flashing behind that vinyl siding trim,

So if that is true they just need to add a kick-out at the bottom, gotta do it, not hard to do, but must be done.

atkins said:
Hello,This is an update I received from the builder:

"The local Building Official has inspected and signed off on the installation and it is his and many professional opinions that the vinyl J–channel acts as the necessary diverter."

Is the builder correct? Can this IRC be waived? If the home inspector disagrees and calls it out, won't the home owner be the one to pay to make it compliant?

Thanks.
Based on what studies? I haven't even heard of someone who tried to do this.

Hi, I am new here and having a problem in our HOA Townhome Community regarding "Kick Out Flashing." being code. Our homes were built in 2000 before the code was enacted. We have vinyl siding with step flashing underneath and "J" moulding. It is my understanding that the "Kick Out Flashing is suppose to divert the water into the cutters? Now in 2019 we under went a complete roof replacement project where the roofs were stripped down to the plywood and damaged plywood was replaced. There never was "Kick Out Flashing" installed. I would like to post two pictures but not sure how, Thanks!

Hi, I am new here and having a problem in our HOA Townhome Community regarding "Kick Out Flashing." being code. Our homes were built in 2000 before the code was enacted. We have vinyl siding with step flashing underneath and "J" moulding. It is my understanding that the "Kick Out Flashing is suppose to divert the water into the cutters? Now in 2019 we under went a complete roof replacement project where the roofs were stripped down to the plywood and damaged plywood was replaced. There never was "Kick Out Flashing" installed. I would like to post two pictures but not sure how, Thanks!
In order to post pictures directly to the forum, you must be a paid member. Alternatively, you can post a link to a web address where they are posted (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.)

If they installed a new roof, the requirement for kick-out flashing should be triggered. It spelled out in the 2018 IRC at 903.2.1, and a quick check shows that requirement back to at least the 2012 IRC. A preformed piece can be purchased at home depot for 2.00, or a field fabricated piece can be made from a piece of step flashing for nothing. There is no excuse for not using this simple device.

I took this picture a few years ago. I was on site for a different reason and saw a contractor opening up a wall to determine the source of a problem. The source was missing kickout flashing, complicated by other issues, but certainly the kickout would have diverted the water off the sidewall. A ton of damage caused by a missing piece of scrap metal.

upload_2020-7-2_6-27-50.png

If they installed a new roof, the requirement for kick-out flashing should be triggered. It spelled out in the 2018 IRC at 903.2.1, and a quick check shows that requirement back to at least the 2012 IRC. A preformed piece can be purchased at home depot for 2.00, or a field fabricated piece can be made from a piece of step flashing for nothing. There is no excuse for not using this simple device.

I took this picture a few years ago. I was on site for a different reason and saw a contractor opening up a wall to determine the source of a problem. The source was missing kickout flashing, complicated by other issues, but certainly the kickout would have diverted the water off the sidewall. A ton of damage caused by a missing piece of scrap metal.

View attachment 6724
Actually I had a similar problem in 2017 where this same roofer repaired it with a kick out flashing. In 2019 when he got the contract to replace all the roofs he sent sub contractors out. They had to be reminded to install drip edge and left off the "Turtle Vents" on three buildings.

THIS WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED BY USER "ROBERT F" BUT HE HAD AN ERROR HE WANTED TO CORRECT. HE COULD NOT EDIT IT, SO PER HIS REQUEST, I DELETED HIS POST AND REPOSTED IT FOR HIM.

Hi Everyone,
This is the reply I received from the local building code office for total roof replacement in 2019 for townhomes built in 2000. Is it me or is this guy missing the point?

Mr. Fleszar,

This code states in section 903 WEATHER PROTECTION, 903.1 GENERAL. Roof decks shall be covered with approved coverings secured to the building or structure in accordance with the provisions of this chapter. Roof assemblies shall be designed and installed in accordance with this code and the approved manufacturer’s installation instructions such that the roof assembly shall serve to protect the building or structure.

So the code tell the installer to use the manufacturer’s procedure to install their product.

In addition, you keep referring to kick out flashing, which is an industry nick name for flashing at vertical wall to roof locations. Section 905 REQUIREMENTS FOR ROOF COVERINGS, subsection 905.2.8.3 SIDEWALL FLASHING. Base flashing against a vertical sidewall shall be continuous or step flashing and shall be not less than 4 inches in height and 4 inches in width and shall direct water away from the vertical sidewall onto the roof or into a gutter. Where siding is provided on the vertical sidewall, the vertical leg of the flashing shall be continuous under the siding.

Now with that said, the flashing that was installed originally was done per these sections of the code. I walked around some of the townhomes and I did not see any issues jumping out at me. But that was looking from the ground and not a ladder and We at the township cannot just walk on private property without owner approval.

If you have a location that you think is not installed correctly have the property manager schedule a site inspection with the contractor with ladder and equipment and I will be there to check the issue. Also, the letter does address the drip edge and there is more than one type of drip edge that meets code requirements. When you schedule the field inspection with the property manager and contractor I will check for the drip edge.

Looking at the picture takes me back to a time when I was installing siding and trim. We fabricated a diverter shingle. The function of a diverter shingle is not to protect a window but merely to keep water from getting behind the siding where the wall and roof meet at the edge of the roof. The damage in the picture was the result of a poor design. Placing a window where it takes a roof flow is asking for trouble.

THIS WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED BY USER "ROBERT F" BUT HE HAD AN ERROR HE WANTED TO CORRECT. HE COULD NOT EDIT IT, SO PER HIS REQUEST, I DELETED HIS POST AND REPOSTED IT FOR HIM.

Hi Everyone,
This is the reply I received from the local building code office for total roof replacement in 2019 for townhomes built in 2000. Is it me or is this guy missing the point?

Mr. Fleszar,

This code states in section 903 WEATHER PROTECTION, 903.1 GENERAL. Roof decks shall be covered with approved coverings secured to the building or structure in accordance with the provisions of this chapter. Roof assemblies shall be designed and installed in accordance with this code and the approved manufacturer’s installation instructions such that the roof assembly shall serve to protect the building or structure.

So the code tell the installer to use the manufacturer’s procedure to install their product.

In addition, you keep referring to kick out flashing, which is an industry nick name for flashing at vertical wall to roof locations. Section 905 REQUIREMENTS FOR ROOF COVERINGS, subsection 905.2.8.3 SIDEWALL FLASHING. Base flashing against a vertical sidewall shall be continuous or step flashing and shall be not less than 4 inches in height and 4 inches in width and shall direct water away from the vertical sidewall onto the roof or into a gutter. Where siding is provided on the vertical sidewall, the vertical leg of the flashing shall be continuous under the siding.

Now with that said, the flashing that was installed originally was done per these sections of the code. I walked around some of the townhomes and I did not see any issues jumping out at me. But that was looking from the ground and not a ladder and We at the township cannot just walk on private property without owner approval.

If you have a location that you think is not installed correctly have the property manager schedule a site inspection with the contractor with ladder and equipment and I will be there to check the issue. Also, the letter does address the drip edge and there is more than one type of drip edge that meets code requirements. When you schedule the field inspection with the property manager and contractor I will check for the drip edge.

Hi Everyone,

Mr. Fleszar,

Good afternoon everyone,
I am still in a discussion concerning the lack of "Kick Out Flashing" after a roof replacement project in our townhome community made up of 29 buildings and 156 owners. Today I took a risk and took photos of my neighbor's garage roof overhang where it butts against my vertical wall siding on my garage. The pictures are of the same area but I do not see anything close to "Kick Out Flashing." I see the "J Moulding", gutter guards, and maybe felt paper? I would appreciate any comments to help me understand what I see.
Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon everyone,
I am still in a discussion concerning the lack of "Kick Out Flashing" after a roof replacement project in our townhome community made up of 29 buildings and 156 owners. Today I took a risk and took photos of my neighbor's garage roof overhang where it butts against my vertical wall siding on my garage. The pictures are of the same area but I do not see anything close to "Kick Out Flashing." I see the "J Moulding", gutter guards, and maybe felt paper? I would appreciate any comments to help me understand what I see.
Thanks,
Bob

/Users/Robs/Desktop/590 Mock1.jpeg

/Users/Robs/Desktop/590 Mock2.jpeg
Your links are to a location on your personal computer. The links must be to a web hosted address.