• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Another Door Landing Question

globe trekker

Greetings to all!

The setting is a typical single family dwelling, 1 story, slab-on-grade type foundation with the Garage

floor level lower than the residence areas, attached 2 car garage. In the Garage, there is a door that

leads to/from the residence. This door is 30 inches above the Garage floor level.

QUESTION # 1: Is this door an exterior door (RE: Section R311.4.3 in the 2006 Edition of the IRC)?

Thanks for your input! :)

No,door from house to garage not a means of egress.Does not open to exterior of structure and greater hazard eixting thru garage.Code only requires one means of egress from SF

Globe, a landing would not be required because the garage door is not an exterior door. A landing would not be required at the top of the stairs into the garage if the door does not swing over the stairs per the exception to 06 IRC R311.5.4

How is it not an exterior door, unless it is within the thermal envelope? Which in this part of the country does not happen.

Given the exceptions, I feel that R311.4 speaks to all exterior doors, not just the required exit door.

Thus, since the elevation change is far above the two riser allowance, landing required.

OK, let me have it.............

Thanks "fatboy"! This is why I am asking the question. In my application, the door is

inside the attached Garage, between the Garage and the residence. I do not know if

this is actually an exterior door. It does not lead directly to the exterior, but it

does separate the conditioned spaces from the (unconditioned) Garage.

Now what say ye? :?:

2009 IRC

EXTERIOR WALL

An above grade wall that defines the exterior boundaries of a building.........

If the door is not located in an exterior wall then it is not an exterior exit door

Thermal envelope has nothing to do with defining the exterior with regards to exits.

In our code if the attached garage is for less than 5 cars it is considered part of the dwelling unit and the separation that would normally be required between the dwelling and the storage garage is no longer required. The basis is that the garage is now considered part of the dwelling unit, so the same provisions apply inside the garage.

I would assume it would be similar here. Unless you are separating into two distinct occupancies it is likely part of the dwelling unit.