• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What is your reasonable service

RJJ

Co-Founder
For many of us we are at our jobs for money and because we love & enjoy the job for the greater part. There are certain things expected of us either expressed by code or policy. For those in the public sector what would you consider your reasonable service. That is the service that goes beyond the job requirements.

Phone calls and emails after hours is one. Meetings to assist homeowners and uneducated contractors when they don't understand much of anything. Moving scheduling around to accommodate weekend warriors, spending lots of time on the phone with things that applicants should know about construction and codes before they decided to do a job. Going to municipal meetings at night just to show my face and answer public questions and back up the "powers that be." We are a for profit company and time is limited. If I were a bored municipal worker with lots of time on my hands, this may be part of my job during regular hours.

Ditto Jar with the exception to boredom and being a salaried employee so there are no regular hours to speak of. 6:00 am inspections for concrete and fire alarm acceptance testing. We have even done a few midnight inspections where the work was being done in the graveyard shift in existing businesses. No we do not charge extra for the occasional after normal hour inspection

Well, I'm one of those "municipal workers" and jar listed all the things that we do, and would have listed.

I`ll echo what others have stated. No night time meetings, ..yet! Other than that, I am essentially

24/7. If the "powers-that-be" called and want / need something, then I am available.

Recently, no time to be bored. Things have "ramped up" significantly around these parts!

Explaning the codes to an registered professional architect that should know better. How come architects don't need continuing education? It seems like half the time they don't even specify the use group on the plans. I took a code book out while meeting with a architect (I think he was in his 70's) and he told me he never saw one before!!

Rick18071 said:
Explaning the codes to an registered professional architect that should know better. How come architects don't need continuing education? It seems like half the time they don't even specify the use group on the plans. I took a code book out while meeting with a architect (I think he was in his 70's) and he told me he never saw one before!!
They teach maybe an hour of code in architect school

jar and rick's lists are good but don't forget the odd structure fire and the occasional vehicle into a building after hours call.

We get the "vehicle into buildings" and "structure fires" at 2:00 am also..........inspector is required........

I attend our local builders group's meetings at least every other month. I also host a builder/realtor roundtable three times a year.

I educate the contractors that call with code questions even if they are not working in my area just makes it easier to let them know I was in there shoes 10 years ago and a L&I inspector took time to get me were I am today.