• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building a door frame

mgnswn

Hi!

I am a small business owner with a construction team doing tenant improvements on my new space.

They built steel door frames for a wood door jamb. My uncle performed a walk thru of their work and noted that the door frames should be reinforced with a 2x4 to support the door installation. He said this is considered a best practice. Any thoughts on this? I asked my construction team about this and they contested that internal steel door frame support is not needed; however, I assuming they wouldn't say otherwise since it would mean a hefty redo of the work.

Is some sort of door support/reinforcement needed? Is there a formal standard/code that I can show my construction team and force them to fix? I did not pull a permit for the work so it is just me doing the inspection :(

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated. Construction is not my line of expertise.

Thank you!!!!!!

Megan

It is all steel framed walls for interior rooms in the space.

Apologies for my limited knowledge, but I don't believe the frames were built for timely doors. They made the door frame opening a little over 38 inches wide. I think they would accommodate a 36 inch door plus wood jamb.

Still not enough information

The frames probably do Not need a wood support

Depends on how the frame is made, A wood "support" or filler would not hurt.

Talk to the manufacturer of the frames, install per the manufacturer's instructions

What Mark said, get the manufacturers specifications. Sounds like they roughed the opening for wood framed doors, 2" over is standard RO for a wood door.

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you both. I would have never thought of getting the specs! I will do that and go from there :)

Thanks again!!!

mgnswn said:
Hi! My uncle performed a walk thru of their work and noted that the door frames should be reinforced with a 2x4 to support the door installation.
Your uncle is probably expecting the wood door to be hung on finish nails. If the carpenter prefers to nail up the jambs and casing, wood bucks should be provided.

Hanging wood doors with trim head screws is commonplace today making wood bucks less critical, that is if you can find an easy way to nail wood casing through drywall into a metal stud.

Good luck

Bill

Ask the finish carpenter to take a look at the wall framing before the sheetrock is hung.

It is always a good idea to have some heft in the framing around doors. Especially with steel framed walls and heavy office doors. So trust your uncle and place either two boxed steel king studs or two wood king studs on each side. I would use wood. Then I would place a brace to the wall top plate at each door.

Or you can accept that the walls will rattle when doors shut.

Your uncle is unfamiliar with steel stud framing.

There is no requirement for wood framed openings, and those carpenters that work on steel studs do not expect it. If you hire finish carpenters that do not typically work on tenant improvement projects they may be in trouble.

Typically the drywall crew will also do all the steel framing, as well as hang the drywall.

Here are 3 photos. The first shows a wood frame inserted into a steel frame R.O. This is a solution for a residential application where a standard door is desired but the carpenters are unfamiliar with steel connection. You can request this but it is not typical.

The next two show typical steel frame construction using standard steel welded door frames on clips, and is typical for T.I. work.

Brent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the key thing here is "I did not pull a permit for the work so it is just me doing the inspection" followed by " Construction is not my line of expertise"

Erecting/changing doors and walls is not a minor alteration and would require a permit in most locations. Not obtaining a permit could have serious consequences down the road. Both potential life safety and legal liabilities should something occur or when you try to sell the property. In addition if any of the "Construction Team" has a state/local license they risk losing it if permits arent pulled.

Remember building to the code is just the minimum.............

mgnswn,

Be sure to let all of your Facebook friends know when the grand opening is happening. Before and after pictures are way cool too.

I think the key thing here is "I did not pull a permit for the work so it is just me doing the inspection" followed by " Construction is not my line of expertise"
I took professional burglar to wake me up to the fact that the OP is asking inspectors for advice on a bootleg. Judging by the pictures, it's bigger than a closet.

Last edited by a moderator: