• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Emergency escape window?

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Would an emergency escape window from a bedroom be permitted to exit onto a deck and meet the requirement of yard or court? Would you allow this?

pc1

I would say yes, no different than a window on a second story that migh drop down to a roof below, or for that matter, the ground.

mjesse said:
Is the deck within a yard or court? Sounds permissible on the surface, need more info.
Yes, the deck is below the house roof in an alcove and then protrudes into the backyard.

IRC 310.5 says the EER can be under a porch as long as there is 36" in height to a yard or court. I have been burned one time allowing EER through a second story set of French doors onto an exterior deck only to have a revision to the plans call for that deck to be converted into an enclosed solarium.

Good luck,

ZIG

"least one openable emergency escape and rescue opening. Such opening shall be directly to the exterior of the building or to a deck, screen porch or egress court, all of which shall provide access to a public street, public alley or yard."

Francis

I operate under the 2010 IRC of NYS, based on the 2006 ICC Code. Appendix H "Patio covers-Section H105" seems to sddress this situation "provided that the patio cover shall be unenclosed if such openings are serving as emergency escape and rescue openings from sleeping areas". If you can use your EERO to exit onto an unenclosed patio, it would seem logical that you could use your EERO to exit onto a deck. IMHO