• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rafter thrust control for flush beam

This is not the way I would want to try to solve the issue but here's a stab.

Figuring the uplift is a trig problem but it's late and my brain says do it the graphical way, by looking at the proportions of the triangle formed. The sides of which are; the top of the joist, the vertical distance of the beam above the joist, and the hypotenuese of the triangle is formed by the strap. For example, if the tension force being resisted was 1000 lbs, the beam were 2" above the top of the CJ and the strap was connected 12" from the beam the uplift force would be 2/12 of 1000 lbs, 167 lbs. By that method I'm coming up with 1014 lbs in the strap and its' connection. the numbers are not for this situation, just an example.

"without a lot of work by guys that may be P@#$ed off!"

Do you know what the difference between a taper and a puppy is?.....The puppy stops crying after 8 weeks!