• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

club house

jwelectric

Silver Member
Had a question today that is a little out of my expertise. I gave the answer to the electrical as I thought it would apply but something just doesn’t seem right about the setup.

Two 100 gallon propane tanks are being set up for heat of a meeting building for some sort of club. Prints show these tanks in a closet that opens to the meeting room of this building and there is no ventilation to the outside of any manner.

My forte is electrical and I don’t know anything about building, mechanical, gas, or fire codes. Plumbing either but I don’t think the ADA would apply but it might.

I told them that I would at least install a bath fan/light combo and set a 55 gallon barrel of water with a five gallon bucket in that closet. Even if nothing goes wrong with them making the installation I wouldn’t want to sit around in the meeting room after the gas man finishes filling those tanks, scared I would want to light one up and have to stand at the pearly gates telling Saint Peter that he will just have to wait cause I just gotta have another cigarette.

Anyone else feel as I do or am I just scared of gas?

NOT sure about NC, but we do not allow propane in a building

any state regulation of propane?

what codes and edtion are you under??

chapter 38 IFC looks like not allowed either 3803.2 2009 edition

3809.9 Storage within buildings accessible to the public. Department of Transportation (DOTn) specification cylinders with maximum water capacity of 2 1/2 pounds (1 kg) used in completely self-contained hand torches and similar applications are allowed to be stored or displayed in a building accessible to the public. The quantity of LP-gas shall not exceed 200 pounds (91 kg) except as provided in Section 3809.11.

jwelectric said:
I told them that I would at least install a bath fan/light combo
Tell them to run the fan 24/7 and they will know if (and when) the tanks leaked.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFPA 58: Storage of LP Gas Cylinders

indoor storage

8.3.2.1 The quantity of LP-Gas in cylinders stored or displayed shall not exceed 200 lb (91 kg) in one location, with additional storage separated by 50 ft (15 m).

8.2.1.3 Cylinders stored in buildings in accordance with Section 8.3 shall not be located near exits, stairways, or in areas normally used, or intended to be use, for the safe egress of people

8.2.1 Cylinders in storage having individual water capacity greater than 2.7 lb (1.1 kg) [nominal 1 lb (0.45 kg) LP-Gas capacity] shall be positioned such that the pressure relief valve is in direct communication with the vapor space of the container.

Are there specific storage requirements for indoor storage?

Yes, NFPA 58 8.3.2 and 8.3.3 addresses indoor storage and break it down based on buildings frequented and not frequented by the public.

And I believe in the sections Mark has posted, they are talking strictly storage, not usage.....We do not allow the setup you describe in CT..

mark handler said:
NFPA 58: Storage of LP Gas Cylindersindoor storage

8.3.2.1 The quantity of LP-Gas in cylinders stored or displayed shall not exceed 200 lb (91 kg) in one location, with additional storage separated by 50 ft (15 m).

8.2.1.3 Cylinders stored in buildings in accordance with Section 8.3 shall not be located near exits, stairways, or in areas normally used, or intended to be use, for the safe egress of people

8.2.1 Cylinders in storage having individual water capacity greater than 2.7 lb (1.1 kg) [nominal 1 lb (0.45 kg) LP-Gas capacity] shall be positioned such that the pressure relief valve is in direct communication with the vapor space of the container.

Are there specific storage requirements for indoor storage?

Yes, NFPA 58 8.3.2 and 8.3.3 addresses indoor storage and break it down based on buildings frequented and not frequented by the public.

Those 2 - 100 gallon tanks stored inside are just begging for a spark and subsequent detonation.

Yes "jwelectric" you are scared of gas, but; in this case, you have good reason to be! :eek:

jwelectric said:
Two 100 gallon propane tanks are being set up for heat of a meeting building for some sort of club. Prints show these tanks in a closet that opens to the meeting room of this building and there is no ventilation to the outside of any manner.
NOT permitted inside put them outside in the open air.