• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Acoustical isolation on ABS/DWV

Jash

Referencing:California Plumbing Code 314.2 Hangers and SupportsSECTION 220548-VIBRATION CONTROLS FOR PLUMBING PIPING AND EQUIPMENTSECTION 220529-HANGERS AND SUPPORTS FOR PLUMBING PIPING AND EQUIPMENT Is acoustical isolation on ABS/DWV required where the vent pipe is in a wood block?

View attachment 1974

View attachment 1975

View attachment 1974

View attachment 1975

/monthly_2013_10/3a.JPG.9546d2f7e26f0ea94886d5c4f8e8ea5c.JPG

/monthly_2013_10/3b.JPG.20e2b4bd3efac4b69ab26f93a59e9ffd.JPG

You would think that the GC would just throw some felt around the pipe between the block just to make sure that there is no vibration against the block.

Acoustics is rapidly becoming the #3 or #4 reason why new home owners are suing builders.

Jash,

Welcome to the Building Code Forum.

In looking at Table 3.2 from the 2010 California Plumbing Code, and regarding the use of DWV, ..Table 3.2

states "to support at mid-story locations". In your submitted pics., the DWV piping appears to be installed

neatly / close fitting to the wood blocking enough so that vibration would not be an issue, however, if you

are unsure, the Table recommends to contact the AHJ for an interpretation. If you are the AHJ, I would not

have a problem with the piping installed as is indicated in the pics. The piping is installed so that

any potential horizontal movement would not be an issue to me.

DISCLAIMER: I am not located in California!

I find the requirement for acoustical isolation in the plumbing general notes. It's not easy to accomplish after the fact.

It has always been multi-unit. It usually applies to any pipe including conduit.

I encountered a three story senior housing building that missed the acoustical notes. That one mistake set them back a bunch.

The pipe in the picture is in too tight a hole. This ends up with the pipe under strain. Not the end of the world but too much strain and there can be a problem. Another thing is squeaks. Roof sheathing and vents can be a nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator:
The largest complaint with multi family housing is water flow in abs pipes.

Yes it needs isolation and sound insulation