• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Freelance Work

globe trekker

Greetings to all!

I have been approached to perform some freelance work on the side (i.e. - some minor inspections,

some code consultation & documentation, etc.). This request could possibly turn in to something more

substantial down the road. The request is for an existing Residence that was supposedly remodeled

"to code".

I DO have an interest in pursuing something else on the side (so-to-speak, and not in the same jurisdiction

where I am employed).

I am guessing that some of the people on this Forum perform some "freelance work" on the side

occasionally, ..maybe even regularly.

QUESTION # 1: Does anyone on here have a sample of your "side business or services" that you would

be willing to PM me? I am seeking some type of format in which to present to some potential customers

(i.e. - a flyer, ..a single page MS Word document, other). NOTE: I am not seeking your personal

information, only a sample format that works for your services.

QUESTION # 2: In your "side business", what type of pricing structure do you offer (i.e. - a flat rate for

Residences, ..by the amount of square footage of the Residence, ..new construction vs. existing,

..an hourly rate regardless, ..hourly rate, plus pictures are additional cost, other?)

NOTE: Some of you may resemble what some Housing Inspectors charge, in various parts of the country.

QUESTION # 3: Any input for Commercial work?

QUESTION # 4: How do you handle any type of Liability Insurance, and/or E & O Insurance? Do you

even have these types of policies in-place before you perform the work?

QUESTION # 5: Does anyone utilize a web site for scheduling your "side work", or mostly by word of

mouth, other?

Any other non-personal information that you want to share is greatly appreciated! :)

Thank you for any input!

1) Nothing more than what is on our website. Word of mouth seems to work best from RDP's and attorneys. I offer construction consulting, expert witness, private evaluations of buildings for code purposes-pre-sale.

2) For residential we use the current "going rate" for home inspectors and adjust it based on the need. After that it is an hourly rate.

3) Same thing based on number of hours for initial consultation then hourly.

4) Good luck with that. We pay over 5 digits for ours. E&O is the way to go if you want to protect yourself. Regular liability is useless unless you are going to drop a ladder on a car.

5) See #1

Sounds like you want to do independent contract work. What jurisdiction requirements are in place for an independent contractor, insurance, bond, and continuing education?

This sounds accusatory but just because I'm ignorant.

If you are a govt employee paid full time, where do you find the the time to do inspections? After work or weekends?

It seems that would limit your ability to generate income to cover your overhead.

I would not think you could freelance on your salaried time.

Brent.

Boy! I thought my real job was side work:) What Jeff said and don't be afraid to charge. If it something simple ok. Better look into insurance if this is going to be something real.

I have two items you might wish to explore. 1st, does your state require specific licensing for third party inspections and/or code consulting? You should check on this. Example: I know that Texas requires license for third party inspectors who contract inspections of new homes. 2nd, I would; after checking out all the possiblilities; make sure my employer had no objections. Your "side work" could cause some problems for your employer; so obtaining their written statement of not objecting to this "side work" might save you from becoming unemployed before your ready to step out on your own. Hope this helps, Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
MASSDRIVER (and others),

Thanks for your input! I have found the time to Freelance when I am not working my full time government

job, plus, ..not in the same jurisdiction where I am employed. The income generated is limited only by

what the customer is willing to pay for.

Uncle Bob,

I am in the process of researching the requirements for 3rd Party type inspections. My state DOES have

such requirements to be "legal", whether that is full or part time.

Keep the responses coming! :)