• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Outdoor Spaces and the Code

Hello all,

I am working on code research for a golf course clubhouse and have a few questions I need help with.

For reference I am using the 2012 IBC.

The program calls for dining/lounge (A-2), and outdoor dining and outdoor kitchen. Also part of the program is an Event lawn.

My first question is: Do I have to define a occupancy classification for these outdoor space? It should not affect building area or height, correct? I feel as though it would/should affect the numbers of toilets.

Any clarification would be helpful, as well as locations to look for or find information.

Thanks!

Are "The Event lawn" occupants, the same occupants as the interior A-2 space occupants?

Typically they will have the wedding outside and move inside for the Dinning and frivolities...

You do not need to count them twice

Are you talking a canopy like covered area away from the main building??

You know your first question is suppose to be one we can answer, so we look good

mark handler said:
Are "The Event lawn" occupants, the same occupants as the interior A-2 space occupants?Typically they will have the wedding outside and move inside for the Dinning and frivolities...

You do not need to count them twice
That is what I was thinking for the "Event Lawn" Just count them as the same A-2 occupants.

Now the outdoor dining and kitchen are throwing me off. I can imagine that on the 3 or 4 nice summer days in Big Sky Montana, that both the interior A-2 space and the exterior A-2 space would be occupied concurrently. While they may not add to any emergency event, I feel as though they could add to the parking and bathrooms.

... I am Stumped.

If both are occupied at the same time, by different events, yes you need to combine for restroom and parking loading

You could restrict the use and number of guests.....

Are you talking a canopy like covered area away from the main building??

Or is this just an open grass space

And is it away from the main building or butt up against it

If the Outside Areas are realistically considered to be part of the Dining Areas inside, then yes, you need a total

occupant load for both areas. Parking, restrooms, Means of Egress capacity & routes. Your Event Use Areas

would be an Accessory Use.

Communication with the developer and designer may lead you to a more informed approach to the parking/ restroom issue. Also if another facility is in operation - ask the local fire marshal about the typical activities...

In our tourist rich enviroment, it isn't that often to have outdoor weddings with the reception being at another location which would lead to "double" occupancy at the same facility.. Parking is a bear

cda said:
Are you talking a canopy like covered area away from the main building??Or is this just an open grass space

And is it away from the main building or butt up against it
The Outdoor Dining and Kitchen would but adjacent to the building. This space would be expected to be served by the same wait staff as in the indoor dining area. The outdoor kitchen would also be adjacent to the indoor kitchen.

globe trekker said:
If the Outside Areas are realistically considered to be part of the Dining Areas inside, then yes, you need a totaloccupant load for both areas. Parking, restrooms, Means of Egress capacity & routes. Your Event Use Areas

would be an Accessory Use.

Right. This is how I have interpreted and now plan to classify this space.

Thanks for all of the replys.

Time for a quick forum edict question:

If I have new questions that I can't answer on a search, should I continue asking new questions in this thread or is it preferred to start a new thread?

This Mixed use is causing me headaches.

Table 2902.1 footnote d. The occupant load for seasonal outdoor seating and entertainment areas shall be included when determining the minimum number of facilities required.

For assembly occupancies see 1109.2.1 as applicable.

Should there be a code modification for seasonal use to allow portable toilet facilities see appendix E105.1.

Hope this is useful.

Keep on asking

""""The Outdoor Dining and Kitchen would but adjacent to the building. This space would be expected to be served by the same wait staff as in the indoor dining area. The outdoor kitchen would also be adjacent to the indoor kitchen. """

Is this area covered? Canopy , fenced or just wide opened?????

cda said:
Keep on asking""""The Outdoor Dining and Kitchen would but adjacent to the building. This space would be expected to be served by the same wait staff as in the indoor dining area. The outdoor kitchen would also be adjacent to the indoor kitchen. """

Is this area covered? Canopy , fenced or just wide opened?????
This is a patio space.

A portion of the "Outdoor Kitchen" is protected from the building cantilevered over. and Some of the Out door dining has a trellised overhead element.

Sounds great just trying to get a picture of it

So how many sq ft are we talking about

And sounds like they do not need the building for required exiting

My code analysis was put on ice for a while but I am now thawing it out. I have chiseled away most of it. I am suck with a handful of spaces I have not classified yet.

1. A lower level Mechanical electrical, and general room, containing, HVAC, Electrical, Data and phone equipment and elevator pump rooms.

2. Golf Cart Storage area, containing: 100 electric golf carts and chargers, lockable golf bag storage, caddie lounge and restroom, and a golf cart service area for minor maintenance, and a golf cart wash area.

My assumptions is 1 should fall under the accessory occupancy of the main occupancy.

#2. I am undecided where to classify it.

Thanks again for all previous thoughts and thanks in advance for any help!

According to the 2012 IBC F Table 414.2.5(1), Maximum allowable quantity per indoor and outdoor control area in group M and S occupancies for: 1. Corrosives is 9750 solid pounds and 975 liquid gallons. Based on my research, an average golf cart battery weighs about 70# and has about 7 gallons. This would allow for 139 batteries. Each golf cart has 6 batteries. That only leaves 23 carts that are allowed in S occupancies. I can increase 100% because our space would be sprinklered. That allows for a total of 46 carts. Well under half of what we were hopping for.

I guess I had better read up on H occupancies, and the required separations.

But you are not storing

Plus the building isn't sprinkled???

I will Have to read a little more

Plus in solution

Plus you do not do the same with a parking garage full of cars/ batteries

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I did not find an occupancy that fit closely with golf cart parking/ storage/ maintenance. The carts would be stored between 8 and 9 months because of our short summers. That made me lean towards S

We are sprinkling.

As I read more we could create up to 3 control areas for this basement. Each with a 1 hour fire barriers. Seems obtrusive to create 3 rooms to store the same thing in.

Sprinkler would normally double an amount allowed

Yes more than likely S occupancy

Has to be a provision for car batteries just need to find it

Sorry missed you factored sprinklers already

So cda,

you are looking at this space as though it is an enclosed parking garage. Parking Garages would be low hazard storage, S-2. I would need to read through Section 406, "Motor-vehicle-related occupancies"

That should help to narrow down my research.

ActionJackson00 said:
So cda,you are looking at this space as though it is an enclosed parking garage. Parking Garages would be low hazard storage, S-2. I would need to read through Section 406, "Motor-vehicle-related occupancies"

That should help to narrow down my research.
Yes a S is best fit in my mind, if you cannot do accessory use

Just do not think Table 414.2.5(1) applies

And trying to find exception, maybe the solution or original package excludes a limit

First welcome to the board. I noticed by your profile that you are an Architectural Intern so I though I might share a little FYI about Montana codes

The State of Montana is currently under the 2009 code editions. The state will have the 2012 adopted sometime after the first of the year and local jurisdictions will have 90 days after that to adopt the new codes.

The state uses the UPC for plumbing and has modified the required fixture Table. Click on the link for the current Table www.mtrules.org/gateway/RuleNo.asp?RN=24%2E301%2E351

I did not hear of any proposed changes to the fixture count.

Depending on the construction start date the 2012 may not be the code to use. Check with the AHJ and make sure there will not be an issue if you submit and the permit is ready to issue before the 2012's are adopted.

(30) Upon the effective date of new requirements, administrative rules, and/or adoption of new editions of model codes, any building or project for which a legal building permit has been issued shall not be required to meet the new requirements. If the building or project is subsequently altered or remodeled, the alteration or remodel shall be subject to the applicable requirements in effect at the time of permit issuance for the new work. On a case-by-case basis, the building official shall have the discretion to determine if the process for issuance of a legal permit was substantially complete enough to warrant the exemption of the project or building from the new requirements, rules, or code provisions.

On a separate note do not let a local or state fire marshal dictate a sprinkler system for your project. That authority rest with the building official based on the IBC as amended by the state.

© Notwithstanding any other provisions or references to the contrary within the NFPA standards, the authority having jurisdiction over any fire protection system required by the International Building Code shall be the building official

mtlogcabin,

This project is quite open ended and relies on a lot things to fall into place, therefore we do not have a specific construction start date. Based on the progress, construction would not begin until late 2014 at best.

Talking with the state building code standards plan reviewer, it sounded like the 2012 IBC would be adopted by march of 2014.

On your side note, about the sprinkler systems, We have run into a few subivisions that have "required" sprinkler systems. I will have to look into that.

cda,

You are saying I should be using the amount of corrosive material not the total gallons within. That would make for much different calculations. I was using the entire 7 gallons per battery. I will re-do my calculations.

I feel like this should fall under the enclosed parking garage S-2, this is less dangerous than a parking garage where there are batteries and gasoline.