• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A House Made of Mostly Windows

Interesting structure! Looks like more of a work of art than a functional, day-in, day-out residence. I'm

thinking all that glass ain't going to provide much thermal insulation in them West Virginia mountain winters.

Verdict: Non-habitable!

Wouldn't want to be in there during a wind event......................

I like it also, JP. I think; in the interest of the freedom to use your property as you wish; everyone should be able to build what they want for habitation as long as it doesn't negatively effect the neighbor's property (by soil errosion, or pollution) and cannot be sold. There are two driving forces that influence building and zoning codes. The first is property values and the second is enviornmental effects on adjoining properties. The rich and/or more well to do; require us to build and maintain the status quo in order to keep their property values stable or more importantly cause them increase in value. We all have a responsibility to prevent our property from environmentally negatively effecting our neigbor's property (my rights end where your's begin). The "cannot be sold" statement comes from the habit of people to stay in homes not longer than or sometimes less time than people who live in rented properties. The property cannot be sold without removing habital buildings or bring them up to code. Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't forget that you will never own your property forever. Financial situations change, jobs change, you can upsize, downsize, default, foreclose, etc. and someone else will want to buy YOUR old house and move in. We are not here to protect the public, including those that purchase pre-owed. Therefore, I don't buy the "It's my house, I can do whatever I want" attitude. My response when I hear that is "You own it today, that does not mean you will own it in the future".

Houses that are not built safely are not safe for fire fighters or emergency responders.

IRC 2012

R101.3 Intent.

The purpose of this code is to establish minimum requirements to safeguard the public safety, health and general welfare through affordability, structural strength, means of egress facilities, stability, sanitation, light and ventilation, energy conservation and safety to life and property from fire and other hazards attributed to the built environment and to provide safety to fire fighters and emergency responders during emergency operations.

It is a shed on agricultural property. Not a residence (no plumbing, no electricity, no kitchen).

A camping shelter. Outside scope of building code.