• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

National Electrical Safety Code

BSSTG

Gold Member
Greetings,

Does anyone know where I might look up specifics in this Code online without purchasing the whole thing? I've got a another major conflict with the local provider. They are costing our citizenry a lot of grief and money.

thanksabunch

BSSTG

BSSTG,

If you visit the NFPA web site, I am told that you can join for free and then have access to all

of the NFPA Standards. I have not actually done this yet, but that is what I am being told by

our Fire Service personnel.

Maybe, someone on here has a copy that they can send to you.

Also, here is the address to the NFPA web site:

http://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/document-information-pages?mode=code&code=70E

BSSTG said:
Greetings,Does anyone know where I might look up specifics in this Code online without purchasing the whole thing? I've got a another major conflict with the local provider. They are costing our citizenry a lot of grief and money.

thanksabunch

BSSTG
There are four electrical codes.

One for the mines.

One for the railroads.

One for the electric utilities electrical generation and distribution facilities - NESC by the IEE.

And one for everyone else - NEC by NFPA.

Since you asked specifically about the NESC, I must presume you are having "issues" with the local electric utility.

In most states some sort of utility commission has jurisdiction over the utilities and should be your first stop with any complaints as well as interpretations of the NESC.

If you go to the NESC page at IEEE's website you may be able to look through some of it.

But that call to your utility commission should high on your to do list.

What are your complaints about what they are doing?

Paul S your are correct sir if it is the provider they stop at the meter / transformer / supply high voltage which can then be distributed within a structure or complex . The NESC is the Provider "Do it our way code" and is not a premesis NEC code.

In RI our major state complexes and universities provide campus power from the substation in and a the Electrical Inspectors we take over from there.