• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Door opening height - does threshold height count in measurement?

Yikes

Gold Member
CBC / IBC 1008.1.1 says "The height of door openings shall not be less than 80 inches."

I have door frames that are installed at 6'-8" without the threshold. When the 1/2" threshold gets installed, the clearance between the top of the threshold and the bottom of the door fram head will then be 6'-7 1/2". The owner wants to know: is that a code violation?

In other words, does the CBC/IBC measure the 80" opening height from the adjacent floor, or from the top of the threshold?

Yikes said:
CBC / IBC 1008.1.1 says "The height of door openings shall not be less than 80 inches."I have door frames that are installed at 6'-8" without the threshold. When the 1/2" threshold gets installed, the clearance between the top of the threshold and the bottom of the door fram head will then be 6'-7 1/2". The owner wants to know: is that a code violation?

In other words, does the CBC/IBC measure the 80" opening height from the adjacent floor, or from the top of the threshold?
Why does the owner want to know?

Rider Rick said:
Why does the owner want to know?
To be honest, I think the owner's also dissatisfied with the quality of the installation, and he's looking for some additonal ammo to tell the contractor to pull out and reset the frames, using code clearances as a partial justification.

Yikes said:
To be honest, I think the owner's also dissatisfied with the quality of the installation, and he's looking for some additonal ammo to tell the contractor to pull out and reset the frames, using code clearances as a partial justification.
I would stay out of it.

CBC 1008.1.1 Ex.5 allows door openings in dwelling units to be 78 inches in height.

Ex. 6 allows exterior door openings in dwelling units other than the required exit door to be 76 inches in height.

For other occupancies, 80 inches is the minimum, and it says "opening."

That is pretty clear that it means non-obstructed vertical opening.

Supporting that 80 inches is the minimum, not a nominal dimension with tolerances,

we have 1008.1.1.1 that allows specific projections from door closers and stops to be 78 inches minimum above the floor.

This is all 2013 CBC, which I am studying to get ready. It is unfortunate that it is not more specific about thresholds.

Alas, over a 1/2" threshold I would stay out of it.

$ ~ ~ $

"The owner wants to know: is that a code violation?........In other words, does the CBC/IBCmeasure the 80" opening height from the adjacent floor, or from the top of the threshold?"
FWIW, IMO, ...technically, it is a violation of the clear opening required dimension[ i.e. - the letter of the code ].

$ ~ ~ $

Did someone cut the bottom of the door off? Are these custom doors that are made too short? Are they measuring from the upper door stop to the top of the threshold?

If the door is its original size, then I doubt it is 79 1/2" tall. At any rate, they are grasping at straws.

I agree, most of my projects probably have less than 80 inches from the threshold to the head door stop. No one has ever expressed concern about it. I just wondered what the "official" interpretation is.

I have a real hard time imagining any code official calling someone out on this issue, if for no other reason than the amount of work it would create for plan reviewers and field inspectors, and to no great purpose. What possible difference could there be in the utility or safety of a door whose clear opening height is 79.5" instead of 80"? An 80" *nominal* height has been the standard in residential construction for decades, and to a lesser extent in commercial work. I believe the code simply adopted that nominal height as the minimum, again, "nominal" being the operative word.