• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NFPA thinks I'm stupid???

chris kennedy

Sawhorse
Note the following alert and tell me how it reads to you. Does it say;

Dear Mr. Kennedy

Our records indicate you have ordered both the NEC and NECHB every code cycle dating back to 2002. We see you have received two copies of the 2014 NEC yet you did not pre-order the 2014 NECHB and would like to extend to you a risk free offer to try the 2014 NECHB.

Sincerely,

Your friends at the NFPA.

Or does it read;

Hey Genius,

In our opinion your reading compression skills are not adequate to fully comprehend the NEC so we feel it would be best for all parties concerned if you also purchase the NECHB. You probably still won't understand the code requirements but there are lots of shiny illustrations to keep you fascinated for hours.

Sincerely,

The tree killers.

Well, jokes on them, I'm staying at a Holiday Inn Express tonight so when I wake up tomorrow I won't need any of their stinkin publications.

They send me two copies of the Catalog every few weeks. It contains all the same info and I have tried to explain I don't need two catalogs every time they mail. So they go in the recycle bin. I give up. I also did not renew my membership. Can't wait to see how many letters will be sent on that one.

I also did not renew my membership over ten years ago and still receive upwards of four renewal notices a year....

Re: NFPA thinks I'm stupid???

mark handler said:
I also did not renew my membership over ten years ago and still receive upwards of four renewal notices a year....
I've got you beat. I get renewal notices weekly and two catalogs a week. What a waste.

Wayne said:
I've got you beat. I get renewal notices weekly and two catalogs a week. What a waste.
wan028.gif

Alright everybody, you all know where I stand. I'm also a NFPA member and value their publications. But... or is that Butt...? The amount of direct mail I get from them at home and at work not to mention email, smoke signals, and and other media truly amazes me. I have to wonder if that is really worth all the expense and is working for their business model? I mean for Pete sake I get direct mail for guys that took one seminar 6 years ago to my home address and have never responded because they haven't worked for the city for the past 5 years. Just saying...

If they mailed one different sample page with each mailing we would have the whole NFPA catalog in no time at all.

Chris, I think you're over reacting. A computer simply recognized prior purchasing patterns and sought to ensure that a regular customer didn't inadvertantly forget to order something that customer typically orders.

But I do agree that some of the redundant advertizing and mailing unnecessarily impacts cost to the consumer.

Cow, dog, chicken... It's all good. Hey, you can bet that since I got on the board I've been called a lot of things! Oh wait... hell... I've been called those things way before last year!!! :butt

Personally, I prefer paper over on line.. do I NEED a handbook? Probably not.. as I have pretty good comprehension skills.. *reminder to self - get another book case and a build a bigger library*

peach said:
Personally, I prefer paper over on line.. do I NEED a handbook? Probably not.. as I have pretty good comprehension skills.. *reminder to self - get another book case and a build a bigger library*
I need a handbook! My comprehenson is not so good! On the more serious side just put in an order for the 2014 NEC for our department.

FM William Burns said:
I wouldn't be overly concerned with their Business model, it will long survive their competitor's.
I would be willing that they all will out last me! LOL. I was just wondering how effective all the direct mail is for them as it seems most companies have cut back on that? I had a conversation on this yesterday with an NFPA contact.