• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

We need Sawhorses

jar546

Forum Coordinator
OK, so I'm not going to beg and I am sounding like a broken record and I am also :beatdhrs but we need to maintain at least 100+++ ACTIVE Sawhorses in order to stay solvent and run the forum. Notice I said "at least". Google AdSense with the banners has dropped off about 40% so that is not bringing in the money that it was. In addition, I am getting burned out because just about every single day, day in day out for the past 4 years I have been logging onto this forum to maintain it. We just completed another update of the software last weekend but I bet no one knew it, nor should anyone since we do it on weekends when the forum is slow.

The update with Simpson Strong Tie is that they are interested in sponsoring but not until 2014 and we have not discussed price. Washington State officials have expressed some interest but I did not start that process yet and it will be a help but minimal.

I have added donations from $5 to $30 along with the Sawhorse subscription. I have basically done everything that anyone has ever asked for or suggested. We were going to try to do T-shirts and hats but since I am not running it and doing it myself, it is not getting done. Lots of talk and volunteering but no action.

Do I sound a bit jaded? Yes, because I am. I feel like a beggar on the street always asking for money. I'm not going to go over what this forum offers or how we have mobile apps, are on top of things, have a classified section (that no one uses and its cheaper than ebay), or anything else.

I go out to eat and its always busy, people are buying new cars, unemployment is down, the housing market and construction market are improving and good subcontractors are now hard to find. The world is rotating and we are stagnant. $35 a F'n year man, really? For all the coffee, cigarettes, soda (pop), gum, beer, pizza, wine, and other garbage that we all buy I have a hard time believing that someone can't pony up 10 lousy cents a day to be a Sawhorse. If you are that bad off then you have much bigger problems in life.

The same people step up to the plate each and every year and some multiple times. I don't want anything else from those people. We need help from more than the 1.9% that is currently helping to finance this forum. You know what? I have also realized that my time is valuable and I have a full time job, 2 part time jobs and a company to run. My donating time is over. Something has got to give or there will be some drastic changes in 2014. This I guarantee and some of those changes may be happening sooner.

So yeah, I'm not being to friendly or nice and once again I am begging for the other 98% of the board to pony up some money. Now I see why the ICC ****canned theirs in 2009. There is simply not enough appreciation for the benefits that this brings.

Come on people chip in, pony up , kick in

Help support the effort 5,10, 15, 35 dollars

Thank you Jar for all you do

I'll kick in some additional coin. I would volunteer some time as well but as you all know you can only stack so much S*** on your plate at one time.

jpranch said:
I'll kick in some additional coin. I would volunteer some time as well but as you all know you can only stack so much S*** on your plate at one time.
No more coin from the same people all the time. The others need to pony up, otherwise guys like you keep carrying them and they have no incentive.

RJJ said:
Jeff what more can I do to relieve some of this time. I do not want you to burn out.
Just do what you have been doing. Checking the Admin page to bring review those that made it through the spam control. I thank you for your continued effort.

Come on you regular users that are not sawhorses yet.......you use this forum, you need this forum, so help out. For petes sake, you spend more taking your buddy to lunch than what it costs for a years membership.

PONY UP!

I see an awful lot of people coming in and asking one very specific question. These are people that have a need for an answer and will ( I assume) pay a little $$ for this valuable information they are obviously seeking. How about those answer type sites that will charge you an amount for the answer? can something like this be done where they can be enticed to drop a $5 bill to receive an answer vetted by professionals to their question? Just a thought............

I was wondering about design professionals that might want to advertise? I can tell you that the architectural community has been very generous supporting the Wyoming ICC Chapter. Just thinking out loud.

JPohling said:
I see an awful lot of people coming in and asking one very specific question. These are people that have a need for an answer and will ( I assume) pay a little $$ for this valuable information they are obviously seeking. How about those answer type sites that will charge you an amount for the answer? can something like this be done where they can be enticed to drop a $5 bill to receive an answer vetted by professionals to their question? Just a thought............
I do not think pay to play is the answer

But drop a note with the answer that we would highly appreciate some support, letting them know that a consultant or project money saving answer would cost more than dropping a five or ten to the web site.

Jeff,

I only donated one year so far and my prescription ran out last week I think. I am in the process of getting a check written and mailed out to you. So, you can count on receiving it sometime soon.

is the expiration date indicated somewhere?
Yes. Somewhere. Jeff answered this question not too long ago. Check "My profile." It might be in there.

If in doubt, just send in more money. I'm sure he won't mind. :D

Mech said:
Yes. Somewhere. Jeff answered this question not too long ago. Check "My profile." It might be in there.If in doubt, just send in more money. I'm sure he won't mind. :D
Go to Settings, Paid subscriptions

Mine looks like this:

Active Subscriptions

Start Date

October 2nd, 2012

Expiry Date

October 2nd, 2015

Contributing Member (Sawhorse)

Go to "settings" upper right corner, next to log out, click on that, scroll down the left side of the page to "my settings", then find "Paid subscritions" and at the top it will give you the expiration date.

Folks

5285 members and only 100 or so pay up, can you see why Jeff has his concerns? How long can we expect this board to work, where can you go to get answers to your questions if not here, nothing is free in life lets all make this work.

The Building Code Forum Statistics

Threads 9,977 Posts 115,168 Members 5,285

Man, that was so great. I loved reading your OP. Tell it like it is Marine.

Semper Fi brother.

I'm in. Just paypal sent you $35.