• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessibility postings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark handler

SAWHORSE
Well in excess of eighty percent of posts in the disability forum have gone off topic of the original posting.

This is not the place to discuss the merits of ADA, civil rights or the law.

Because of this I will no longer post the articles, news and reposts I receive.

If anyone wants me to comment on a particular issue please PM me.

Over the yeras, I have read many accessibility posts in the disability forum while lurking. I learned a lot. Thanks. When newer to the forum, I have also been guilty of going off topic. Sorry.

Still, I think the work you do is important to the forum and another solution might be found.

Jobsaver said:
Over the yeras, I have read many accessibility posts in the disability forum while lurking. I learned a lot. Thanks. When newer to the forum, I have also been guilty of going off topic. Sorry. Still, I think the work you do is important to the forum and another solution might be found.
I agree. I have learned a lot from your posts as well. Please do not stop.

Mark, Please continue to post as you have previously. The moderators should keep things on track, and if that does not work then we will do it for them. The benefits to many outweigh the desires of the few.

I agree with the others Mark, you have always found time to reply to several questions on accessibility issues & I also thank you, so please continue

Mark, As owner of the forum I am urging you to continue your posts. I feel as though they are extremely important to the industry and need to be brought to the table and discussed. It is imperative that we air our opinions and viewpoints in a healthy, professional manner for all subjects. Just as an FYI, the majority of all posts that are more than 4-5 replies go off topic anyway so there is nothing new there. Accessibility is no different.

Both you and your posts bring a lot more to this forum than you realize. Let's not go backwards.

Jeff

While I agree that Mark's knowledge of ADA law and his contributions in helping others interpret this, at times conflicting, law are very valuable, I don't think constant posting of lawsuits is productive, it also appears that he is advocating strict rather than reasonable compliance. I'd say the reasonable approach would be to stop posting the legal/judicial enforcement but continue posting the administrative interpretation and enforcement, ADA is unique in having a private right of enforcement, although in California CalOSHA now has a private right of enforcement. I never saw any overt discrimination against the handicapped until this law and all the newspaper articles about the litigation that appear to be exposing blackmail.

As I recall our old Bulletin Board collapsed with the overt advocacy of fire sprinklers, and I have to wonder if many are lost here with all the disability posts, civil rights law is political, in states that have not codified ADA into the building codes I don't see that it has any place here, anymore than enforcing OSHA, Immigration, or federal drug law. I guess those of us offended can vote with our feet and/or our dollars.

I like Marks posts, and want him to continue. But has editorial style posts which are open for debate, scrutiny and dissent.

(My opinion ).

That makes the threads fun. It's called debate and discussion and I disagree they go off track, rather they just remain flexible for comment.

Marks Ada facts are just that, code facts. I don't generally even comment on those as I'm out of my lane.

But you can't post things that are are open for opinion then get arrogant and p1ssy when you get called on it.

Brent

Hearing other's opinions and job experiences are vital in learning. Dialog is a good thing.

Well, I'll chime in, sometimes going OT spins into a bigger, or smaller discussion. Should a new thread be started? Maybe, maybe not........but I don't think halting the conversation solves anything, and face it Mark, you are pretty much our accessibility guru. Don't pull back.. JMHO

Seriously Mark, this forum is more about ADA than anything else. The forum could lose the likes of me and only fatboy would notice but what you bring is important.

Besides that, whenever I see your name, I get a vision of Chelsea. Now you wouldn't ruin that for me would you?

When a thread starts to drift, put it back on track.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am guilty of taking some of his post off track. I do agree Mark is a "guru" when it comes to ADA issues and suggesting products that will aid in achieving compliance.

Since most of the predatory lawsuit articles are related to California why not just post them in the California specific section and "continue posting the administrative interpretation and enforcement" (as Conarb stated) of the DOJ lawsuits.

I don't care how they do it in California but I do want to keep builders and designers informed on bad designs that may not be compliant under the DOJ's authority.

Cutting and pasting articles about ADA lawsuits isn't exactly opening the doors for "on topic" discussion.

It's the online equivalent of sticking a "love is..." cartoon on the fridge and calling it a romantic gesture.

The threads go off topic because not everyone agrees that rules and regulations should be followed strictly to the letter. Good discussion leads to better understanding, that's good for everyone.

Don't just take your ball and go home. "Don't go....please....we'll be your friend"

Your posts lead to good discussions. Personal attacks are usually moderated out, though most negative comments aren't attacking you personally. Stick around, share your info, we're all better for it.

We all have an emotional interest in doing our jobs even though we may not always agree. I like it that way. If it gets cold and impersonal, we move closer to the dystopian future.

"Getting along" is fine until we leave California and have to experience in many other states a level of access not even remotely close to ours.

Unaccessible drinking fountains are equal to the "White's only signs of the 50-60-'s.

Most of you understand the "end game", it is getting there that continues to resisted by many.

ICE said:
Has anyone seen my moisture meter?
Hmmm, I think I just did.

IMG_3856.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.