• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New historic building in PA

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
Did not know you could have a new historic building. But in PA it looks like you can. Here's what the PA-UCC says:

§ 403.24. Historic buildings, structures and sites.

A building code official may exclude an entire historic building or structure or part of the building or structure from compliance with the Uniform Construction Code if it meets all of the following conditions under section 902 of the act (35 P. S. § 7210.902):

(1) The building or structure is an existing building or structure, or a new building or structure that is not intended for residential use on an historic sites.

(2) The building or structure is identified and classified by Federal or local government authority or the Historical and Museum Commission as an historic building or site.

(3) A building code official judges the building or structure or parts of the building and structure as safe and the exclusion is in the interest of public health, safety or welfare. The building code official shall apply the Uniform Construction Code to parts of the building or structure where its exclusion is not within the interest of the public health, safety and welfare. A building code official may not waive the Uniform Construction Code's accessibility requirements under this section.

Someone wants to build an new house that is a replica of a house that was built 200 years ago on an offical historic site. Use is"A-3". I'm not sure if this makes the building also historic automaticly. I would like to know how others feel about this.The UCC only says buildings and how could they call the building historic officaly before it's built.

#3 says that I can judge if the building is safe. This building is ok structurally but egress, doors stairs etc. don't make code. I don't want to be responsible if someone get hurt because of my judgment in letting it not be to code. I am telling them that they would need to go to the state for accessiblity and then to the local appeals board for the egress. I would like to get input from others about this.

You don't get to waive ADA....might want to look at that....None of it would make me all that comfy, but open to discussion. How is it intended to be used?

It would be a non-contributing building located within a local or nationally recognized historic district. New codes apply, except possible leniency on exterior. ADA can be challenged in Harrisburg. Owner can pay 100 bucks and ask for waivers there. Accessibility Review Board.

Size would be a determining factor for me. I would have no problem with a residential historical replica being built and not meeting all of today's codes if it meets certain criteria.

What is the sq ft, how many floors, will there be guided tours, are just a few questions.

500 sq. fr. two stories but the 2nd story is like a finished attic. I won't make them put in sprinklers even though the code wants it for two story A use.

Okay here is a stretch

SECTION 312

UTILITY AND MISCELLANEOUS GROUP U

312.1 General.

Buildings and structures of an accessory character and miscellaneous structures not classified in any specific occupancy shall be constructed, equipped and maintained to conform to the requirements of this code commensurate with the fire and life hazard incidental to their occupancy.

It is a replica historic structure that probably will not meet minimum ceiling heights current rise and run on stairs and a number of other code items. It is small enough the OL at any one time will be 4 or 5 people. My suggestion is review the drawings for structural items. install some emergency illumination it the building will be used during non-daylight hours and identify on the CO the building was constructed as a historical replica and is limited to viewing and walking tours only. In other words the building is not to be "occupied" for any purpose

At 500 square feet I might be able to call it a "display" more than an occupied structure.....but the limitations and requirements would have to be well spelled out....

I would not call it U. The public will be going into it. They have accessible rest rooms outside and an acceassible ramp to get into the back door of the building.

The public will be going into it
That is not a reason to not classify it as a "U"

The public will go through all the livestock and Agricultural buildings during a fair

I suggested "U" as an accessory & miscelaneous structure to a historical site and would only have to meet codes commensurate with fire and life safety. No accessibility, plumbing or other requirements.

Calling it U will only take away accessiblity. Eggress with the stairs and doors will be the same as other uses. I wasn't concernd with plumbing or mechancal. It's not heated and no plumbing. Accessible restrooms nearby. They are calling it A, and I'll let L & I worry about the accessiblity. But they will also need to go to the local appeals board for the egress issues. My boss agrees with me that my inspection company is to not take any responsibility in calling somthing safe when it's not to code.

"My boss agrees with me that my inspection company is to not take any responsibility in calling somthing safe when it's not to code. "

Then you mat want to change your mind on.......

"I won't make them put in sprinklers even though the code wants it for two story A use."

Can you use IBC 303.1 exception 1?

A building or tenant space used for assembly purposes with an occupant load of less than 50 persons shall be classified as a Group B occupancy.

mtlogcabin said:
That is not a reason to not classify it as a "U"The public will go through all the livestock and Agricultural buildings during a fair

I suggested "U" as an accessory & miscelaneous structure to a historical site and would only have to meet codes commensurate with fire and life safety. No accessibility, plumbing or other requirements.
By saying this you are totally ignoring the ADA which especially in a case like this of an area that is probably considered a tourist attraction to definitely be considered. By classifying it as a "U" you are just trying to circumvent the ADA requirements that are part of the building codes. Depending on who administers this historic site in might even come under the governmental sections of ADA requirements which are even stricter.

New historic building in PA

Sprinklers are required when an A-3 is 5A construction more than one story. The second story in this building is more like a finished attic that doesn't meet the minimal size for an occupied room. That's why I would not require sprinklers.

If it is a true historical replica it will not meet ADA reg. That is a fact. Has anyone's civil rights been violated? Nope not one. Someone has to physically visit the site and not be able to get inside before that happens. Simple answer. Put a glass front on it and it is a display/exhibit that no can can go inside. There everyone is happy and nobody had their civil rights violated