• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Asbestos in Existing Fire Doors

LGreene

If an existing fire door may have asbestos as part of the core construction and a facility is upgrading the door hardware for accessibility (or modifying the door for whatever reason), is there a written requirement for the door to be replaced rather than modified for the new hardware?

Depending on the types of modifications, if an existing fire door is modified, it will have to get a new label.

If they are just replacing door hardware, I don't think there is a problem reusing the same door with the existing label, as long as the new hardware is appropriate for use on a fire door.

If they are cutting the door to add a vision lite, then employee protection is necessary and the door may need a new label. In that case, it might be cheaper to just install a new door that is manufacturer-prepared for a vision lite.

RLGA said:
Depending on the types of modifications, if an existing fire door is modified, it will have to get a new label. If they are just replacing door hardware, I don't think there is a problem reusing the same door with the existing label, as long as the new hardware is appropriate for use on a fire door.

If they are cutting the door to add a vision lite, then employee protection is necessary and the door may need a new label. In that case, it might be cheaper to just install a new door that is manufacturer-prepared for a vision lite.
Thanks Ron - I'm thinking that the modifications are within what is allowed by NFPA 80 - 1" diameter holes maximum.

Here's some information about asbestos protection for workers: http://ehs.okstate.edu/training/oshasbes.htm

asbestos only becomes a problem requiring remediation if the asbestos is friable. If the door can be modified without releasing asbestos fibers into the air, it can be reused.