• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IBC Special Inspections

NH09

Silver Member
I was wondering if anyone knew of a threshold for requiring special inspections. I have a 2,200 square foot office building, frost wall and slab, conventional wood frame w/trusses. I looked at the exceptions in 1704.1 and:

1.) I don't really feel it's minor in nature, but on the other hand it's almost identical to a house construction wise (on the fence about this exception).

2.) It does not meet any of the criteria in our state to require an engineer (although the truss system does require an engineered stamped plan and truss details). So this section could apply.

3.) It is not a U occupancy, so that exception does not apply.

At this point I am leaning towards not requiring the soil, concrete and wood frame special inspections - any thoughts out there?

You should have the authority to not require them.....At that level as long as it is good,virgin soil and you don't think anyone is going to cheat on concrete, and you are comfortable with your time and ability to inspect..I say go for it...If the trusses are over 40' you are out of light frame though...

2308.2 Limitations.

Buildings are permitted to be constructed in accordance with the provisions of conventional light-frame construction, subject to the following limitations, and to further limitations of Sections 2308.11 and 2308.12.

1. Buildings shall be limited to a maximum of three stories above grade. For the purposes of this section, for buildings in Seismic Design Category D or E as determined in Section 1616, cripple stud walls shall be considered to be a story.

Exception: Solid blocked cripple walls not exceeding 14 inches (356mm) in height need not be considered a story.

2. Bearing wall floor-to-floor heights shall not exceed 10 feet (3048 mm).

3. Loads as determined in Chapter 16 shall not exceed the following:

3.1. Average dead loads shall not exceed 15 psf (718 N/m2) for roofs and exterior walls, floors and partitions.

3.2. Live loads shall not exceed 40 psf (1916 N/m2) for floors.

3.3. Ground snow loads shall not exceed 50 psf (2395 N/m2).

4. Wind speeds shall not exceed 100 miles per hour (mph) (44 m/s) (3-second gust).

Exception: Wind speeds shall not exceed 110 mph (48.4 m/s) 3-second gust for buildings in Exposure Category A or B.

5. Roof trusses and rafters shall not span more than 40 feet (12 192 mm) between points of vertical support.

for commercial construction, it's a good idea to require at a minimum concrete testing and a geotech report (to cover yourself). Most inspectors have a pretty good working knowledge of wood construction.