• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Professional Drawings

jar546

Forum Coordinator
This is considered commercial because it is a 3 or more unit apartment building. They plan on removing the existing deck and replacing it with a new deck and new stairs which will include "putting new 6x6 posts in 42" deep holes"Exactly how exactly am I suppose to figure this one out for plan review? I am very fortunate that we routinely get great, professional submissions like this.How many of you would just issue the permit?

View attachment 2066

View attachment 2066

/monthly_2014_06/572953f0d51b2_ScreenShot2014-06-02at8.41.06PM.jpg.83e46f3c7da11951c62360191b0d945b.jpg

i wold give him the crayons back, suggest graph paper with a straight edge and require enough detail so I could build it without having to guess a the sizes of the material. Then we could discuss the whole is a RDP required question

Brent could build that. Of course, here in California, engineers help out with stair construction.

I wish I were rich.

I would drive across the country and build that sumb1tch EXACTLY like that drawing.

At least you know it's a house, and not a cliff.

Brent.

MASSDRIVER said:
I wish I were rich.I would drive across the country and build that sumb1tch EXACTLY like that drawing.

At least you know it's a house, and not a cliff.

Brent.
Wish for filthy rich and take a plane.

Msradell said:
That drawing would even be sufficient for a residential project to say nothing about a commercial one!
I respectfully disagree that this drawing would be good for any project other than for children to color.

Msradell said:
That drawing wouldn't even be sufficient for a residential project to say nothing about a commercial one!
There, I fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
They plan on removing the existing deck and replacing it with a new deck and new stairs
In their mind it is a simple job. Replace what is existing with new materials no big deal what is all the fuss about drawings when you can go out and see what is there?

We run into this a couple times a year with various projects. We meet the people onsite explain what the minimum info would be on a drawing and the different views required.

It depends are fees charged differently for submission of professional drawings that spells out the details and calculations compared to the time an inspector to track down design errors who are normally not qualified to make such judgments with the crayon drawings?

And what are the guidelines for design professionals to submit elementary type drawings to cut costs for their services and put the extra demands on the inspection department?

MASSDRIVER said:
I would drive across the country and build that sumb1tch EXACTLY like that drawing.
Your going to need the fastener details, don't know why Jeff didn't post them.

Here you go.

All that's needed for that drawing to be compliant is a note "Built to Code". Tada..... it's fixed. I'm sure the guy plans to overbuild it anyhow.

ZIG