• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Massachusetts Plumbing Code - Sinks, Urinals, & toilets

alacreative

Does Mass code require a certain amount of sinks in each bathroom depending on how many toilets? As an example, Right now I need 4 female toilets and 3 male toilets if I include 1 unisex bathroom. I also need 2 sinks for males and 2 sinks for females.

This is telling me that I can have 2 bathrooms with 2 toilets and 1 sink for females. Although, I am used to seeing 2 sinks in bathrooms with more than 1 toilet, so I wanted to get another opinion.

Also, does a unisex bathroom remove the need for an additional male and female toilet as well as a male and female sink?

TheCommish said:
link to Mass plumbing code, search for table 1 which give the number of fixtures per use and area/number of usershttp://www.mass.gov/ocabr/licensee/dpl-boards/pl/regulations/rules-and-regs/248-cmr-1000.html#10.10
I am aware of this table which is how I was able to get my minimum fixture count. However, I feel as though there must be a minimum amount of sinks needed in a bathroom depending on how many toilets used. For example, I need 5 female toilets and 2 female sinks. It doesn't seem like I would be able to put 3 toilets and 1 sink in a single bathroom, or can I? Also, am I able to put all 5 toilets in the same bathroom or is there a requirement that forces a max number of fixtures in each bathroom depending on the occupancy type?

These are the type of questions I am looking to have answered as I don't see anything regarding these concerns in the Mass Plumbing Code.

Thank you in advance!

the number of each individual fixtures are determined based upon the Building Classification as shown in Table 1, and the number of occupants, the # of sinks is not based directly on the # of toilets. so you need to know the building classification/use and the number of occupants. if the actual number of female patrons is unknown then you'd typically use 1/2 of the total occupant load as being male and 1/2 female.

GBrackins said:
the number of each individual fixtures are determined based upon the Building Classification as shown in Table 1, and the number of occupants, the # of sinks is not based directly on the # of toilets. so you need to know the building classification/use and the number of occupants. if the actual number of female patrons is unknown then you'd typically use 1/2 of the total occupant load as being male and 1/2 female.
Yes I am aware of this as well. I have my fixture numbers, building use group, and number of occupants figured out already. I need 5 female toilets, 4 male toilets, 2 female sinks, and 2 male male sinks. What I am wondering about is can I put all 5 female fixtures in a single bathroom with the 2 sinks? Can I put 3 female toilets in a single bathroom with 1 sink? In other words, I don't need to know how to figure out my fixture count or occupancy load, I am wondering if there are any requirements on how many toilets vs. sinks you can have in a single bathroom. I am mainly asking because putting 3 toilets and 1 sink in a single bathroom doesn't seem right so I wanted to confirm.

in MA, Do we figure out the plumbing count base on estimate occupancy count or number of occupants base on sq ft? what i hear is the # of fixture is based on estimate occupancy. i can't find that description on the MA plumbing code. can anybody confirm? or direct me to the section? thanks

ala, it is the dawn of a new age. Consider doing a Unisex with the facility serving all users, compartmentalize the toilets and provide a common space for the sinks and you have used less sq. ftg then the two separately.