• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

House on Wheels

Chad Pasquini

Ok, so yesterday a gentleman comes in and asks what permits if any he would need to construct a building on a trailer that would be able to have hook ups for a trailer park, this is a new one to me, we have an ordinance for efficiency dwelling units to be 150 sf not including the required bathroom or kitchen floor space, so I told him to check with department of transportation first, then told him to give me a few days to research this, no foundation so I am not sure I would even have any issues with this. Anything I might be missing here. Thanks

There is a movement under the moniker "Tiny Houses". These are people trying to build and live in areas about 120 sq ft or so. Since it's kinda hippie oriented, they are not satisfied with an RV type situation, but prefer to build it themselves, and make it more house like. They have learned that if it on wheels they can skirt building minimum sizes. Hence, building a house on a trailer.

Netflix has a documentary on it, so ya'll probably see more inquiries coming in.

Brent.

In California this would not be regulated by the building code. There is a separate regulatory scheme for mobile homes and similar structures but the local building department is not involved with it. The utility hookup would be treated as a mobile home park.

Thanks for your response's gentlemen, what If he is constructing this thing in a front or even backyard, no building requirements?, I will check with our zoning department, but feel pretty much the same as building will have zero requirements or issues.

Should be treated the same as a guy building a hot rod--both are DMV regulated, zoning and association rules may apply the sameas parking an RV. Many RV owners have at least an electric hookup wherre they park it when not traveling--nice to have lights, fridge and AC while packing/unpacking.

Sorry to revive an old post but this seems better than starting a new one. So you guys allow someone to live in an RV as a permanent dwelling just because it is not covered by IRC? I would assume it would have to meet code in order to be considered a "permanent dwelling". So for us at the moment we require ALL dwellings to meet IRC. Thankfully we have zoning to help enforce that. I guess I answered my question. Since zoning prevents "RVs" as dwellings I require IRC compliance. Just had a young lady leave in tears when I told her that her "Tiny House RV' will not meet IRC compliance. She already ordered it and they are currently building it now. So on one hand I feel bad but on the other, who spends $80,000 plus BEFORE you assure it can be used? Um, cart before the horse? So, as far as you guys see this, compliance with IRC if a permanent dwelling is required by zoning or other ordinance, or it's just an RV and they can live in it if they wish.

No our zoning would prohibit it anyway, unless in an RV park. Can't even in a mobile home park.

Need to be a permanent, compliant structure to be habitable.

Sorry, poor planning on the young lady's part, should have checked first.

On a personal note, I really don't care, you can live in a tent for all I care. But, rules are rules..........

Had an inquiry yesterday about tiny homes (again). As a Building Official I told them that I did not know if I could issue a C of O for a mobile vehicle. Has anyone here ever inspected one throughout the construction and finaled it? I have inspected numerous small cabins that had minimal rooms.

No way I could under the IRC....
Had an inquiry yesterday about tiny homes (again). As a Building Official I told them that I did not know if I could issue a C of O for a mobile vehicle. Has anyone here ever inspected one throughout the construction and finaled it? I have inspected numerous small cabins that had minimal rooms.

Isn't there an exception for accessory buildings of 120 sq. ft or less?

Build it on a trailer and deflate the tires.

In CA it would come under our Roadable structures review, similar to portable school buildings.
If towable it must be roadable.

I saw one city that had minimum sq ft for a house and would not back off of that.

The State here deals with all Manu. Homes. Also they sent out a flyer couple of years back the if it doesn't have a tag from MH or RIVA then it has to meet ALL the minimum requirement of the IRC and local zoning to get an CO.

The State here deals with all Manu. Homes. Also they sent out a flyer couple of years back the if it doesn't have a tag from MH or RIVA then it has to meet ALL the minimum requirement of the IRC and local zoning to get an CO.

Any chance you have a copy of that flyer