• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What did you shoot this hunting season?

mtlogcabin

SAWHORSE
10557631_300059330194549_50200389640043002_o.jpg

Had to use a Canon to shoot this one. Bought the wife a Rebel T-4 for her birthday so she had to try it out

Shot a rock chuck (a relative of the marmot family) by chucking a rock at it one morning. It was trying to make a home in my backyard.

Shot a 24" Rattlesnake in my front yard this summer, with my single shot, bolt action .22 Winchester Scout (circa 1930's)

Only had a day & 1/2 to hunt this year. Well at least that was 1 1/2 days more than last year. Took a whitetail over in the Black Hills. back strap for dinner this weekend!

Got this guy the last week of Oct. with my bow.

Gun season this weekend, and archery goes to the middle of Jan. Hoping to fill that other tag with something a little bigger.

Min&Max said:
No fair JCraver. All I have gotten so far is dang cold.
Me too - this last weekend was silly cold for this early. Brrrrr!

That buck up there ^^^^^ is not one I would typically shoot, although I am super happy with him. I had an awesome hunt that morning - he was the 13th deer I saw, and he came by my stand 4 times before I finally let him have it. Most fun I've had on stand in a while.

mjesse said:
Care to explain for the non-hunters like myself?mj
I like 'em bigger than that, is all. That deer was either a real good 2- 1/2 yr. old or an average 3- 1/2 yr. old. I prefer to shoot bucks that are older, though it doesn't always work out that way... If I had a good day in the woods, made a good shot, and I'm happy with the hunt (as I was in this case), then that's really all that's important.

JCraver said:
I like 'em bigger than that, is all. That deer was either a real good 2- 1/2 yr. old or an average 3- 1/2 yr. old. I prefer to shoot bucks that are older, though it doesn't always work out that way... If I had a good day in the woods, made a good shot, and I'm happy with the hunt (as I was in this case), then that's really all that's important.
Thanks for the info.

I enjoy shooting sports (archery, trap, pistol range), but I've never hunted.*

Do you have to cut 'em open and count the rings to know how old they are? :razz:

*- I did sit in the woods all day one time, wearing orange and holding a 30-06, but I don't think that counts.

Thanks fatboy. Either way I'll be eating fresh elk this winter. I know where his freezer is!
That is so funny Jim and hopefully you can get out. I'm taking 1/2 day today to get out......weekend going to be very wet here. It's always more about the hunt than the harvest.

Elk or Deer steak & gravy is one of my favorite dinners. I'm cooking tonight. Yearling buck back straps. I'm particularly fond of this over rice. Very good stuff!