• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IBC 2009 Table 1607.1

Rudag

Please help me with this practice test question.

With no other information available, what is the Uniform Live load of a balcony of an office?

I would like your unbiased thoughts and will post the "correct" answer later. I was able verify "correct" answers to some of the other questions of this practice test as incorrect and I cannot fully trust this answer without understanding how it was derived.

Thanks

Did you see foot note "h"?

In case you do not have the 09 commentary

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ibc/2009f2cc/index.htm

Nominal live loads are determined in accordance with Section 1607. The live load requirements for the design of buildings and structures are based on the type of occupancy. Live loads are transient loads that vary with time. Generally, the design live load is that which is believed to be near the maximum transient load for a given occupancy.

My unprofessional wag is. 50?

I would vote 50 since you stated "office"

Office corridors require 80 so that could be another answer.

What where the choices given? I am pretty good at multiple guessing

My answer is 50 as well.

Was this an ICC Campus practice test / online course? I ask because some of the '09 versions have some... issues. ICC tells me they're not fixing them.

mtlogcabin said:
I would vote 50 since you stated "office"Office corridors require 80 so that could be another answer.

What where the choices given? I am pretty good at multiple guessing
That was my "setup" reference...If it were more of a "walk around the outside of the building kinda balcony" I'd go for 80

You said balcony of an office. Table 1607.1 gives a 50 lb. load for an office, so the bacony would be 50 lb.

I was going to rebut, then read it carefully... 'an office', so limited number of people would normally have access. Had it said an office building I would argue for a higher number,like the corridor (the 2012 includes lobby areas at 100 BTW).

Footnote h applies to decks. Different structure and loading.

JBI said:
I was going to rebut, then read it carefully... 'an office', so limited number of people would normally have access. Had it said an office building I would argue for a higher number,like the corridor (the 2012 includes lobby areas at 100 BTW). Footnote h applies to decks. Different structure and loading.
The correct answer is 100. I posted the question incorrectly, it did say office building.

I read the question just like I posted it and answered 50.

Is it safe to say that support for your argument for the larger number is based on the occupancy serving the balcony provides for a maximum load potential? Do functions of a balcony and the service occupancy, i.e corridor, differ, if so should they be considered?

You input is valued.

Thanks

Warning Will Robinson Warning

""""""Was this an ICC Campus practice test / online course? I ask because some of the '09 versions have some... issues. ICC tells me they're not fixing them""""""

looking through the 100 list not many that come close

29. Roofs Roofs used for roof gardens or assembly purposes ???? I missed that one

40. Yards and terraces, pedestrians 100 ????

JCraver said:
My answer is 50 as well.Was this an ICC Campus practice test / online course? I ask because some of the '09 versions have some... issues. ICC tells me they're not fixing them.
I concur.

JBI said:
I was going to rebut, then read it carefully... 'an office', so limited number of people would normally have access. Had it said an office building I would argue for a higher number,like the corridor (the 2012 includes lobby areas at 100 BTW). Footnote h applies to decks. Different structure and loading.
The Significant Changes noted the differences in prior editions (2003, 2006) and clarified the live load for decks and balconies are the same with the deletion of their definitions. The footnote reference is for the attachment.

And to my knowledge though architects and engineers tend to be conservative and use ASCE 7; it is not referenced for the table to avoid conflict of live loads. Perhaps someone with letters after their name could provide further clarification.

I still do side jobs and use ASCE7 where it is more stringent or stronger than the adopted code in the project location. Keeps the E&O rating in check and if there is any conflict with Owner or owner reps or contractors regarding design standard, then there is CYA if a formal complaint comes up. For the smaller size projects I do, there is usually minimal increased cost for building stronger deck and balcony floors, mostly in a few more joist boards and stronger connectors.