• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Closet electrical outlet

cda

Sawhorse 123
Before I do it

Can I have an electric outlet in a bedroom closet ?

Thanks

& = & = &

Yes !..........Electrical outlet as in a duplex receptacle, or

an outlet for a light, or something else ?

& = & = &

There is no prohibition for installing a receptacle in a closet in the NEC. Should have AFCI protection

north star said:
& = & = &

Yes !..........Electrical outlet as in a duplex receptacle, or

an outlet for a light, or something else ?[/color

& = & = &
Receptacle -------

I wouldn't allow the receptacle to be switch-controlled, due to the likelihood that a portable lamp would be plugged in.

@ ~ @ ~ @

FLSTF01,

Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :cool:

"I wouldn't allow the receptacle to be switch-controlled, due to the likelihood that a portable lamp would be plugged in."
What section of the codes would you cite todisallow the switched type receptacle ?

@ ~ @ ~ @

Welcome to the forum FLSTF01.

I agree with the posters above, need a code section to disapprove, codes are not what it might become............

Standard receptacle = OK. Others such as lighting have some specific clearance requirements for safety, need more info on this.

I am not sure why anyone would install a receptacle on a switch in a closet. I know of nothing in the nec that would disallow it. I think an authority having jurisdiction would have some issue with a receptacle that was switched at the ceiling in lieu of a light.

No longer your parents closet

doc-mobili-walk-in-closet-1-554x415.jpg

walk-in-closet-design-9.jpg

You guys have me searching for a code section now. I do agree that we can't just make stuff up though. back when I was a contractor, I had a Building official tell me that. It stuck.

FLSTF01 said:
You guys have me searching for a code section now. I do agree that we can't just make stuff up though. back when I was a contractor, I had a Building official tell me that. It stuck.
Sometimes they just make that stuff up.....

Now I know who not to call for the inspection

How does the joke go:

Put ten electrical inspectors in a room

Give them each an electrical receptacle to install

Come back and you will see ten different installations all over the wall, ceiling and floor

FLSTF01 said:
It had to have been in an old code, I can remember in the 50s having inspectors tell me that even ceiling lights were too close to shelving and there was a code mandated separation between any electrical outlet/receptacle and closet shelving.

This brings up another question then, back sometime before the 70s it was very common, especially in smaller homes, to install subpanels in closets, that became illegal and even when remodeling we were required to move them out of closets, that was quite an expense since all conduit and Romex had to be completely replaced, they wouldn't even allow blanked-off junction boxes at the old closet location.

conarb said:
It had to have been in an old code, I can remember in the 50s having inspectors tell me that even ceiling lights were too close to shelving and there was a code mandated separation between any electrical outlet/receptacle and closet shelving.This brings up another question then, back sometime before the 70s it was very common, especially in smaller homes, to install subpanels in closets, that became illegal and even when remodeling we were required to move them out of closets, that was quite an expense since all conduit and Romex had to be completely replaced, they wouldn't even allow blanked-off junction boxes at the old closet location.
Well, not allowing blank covers was taking license with the code, in my interpretation. Yes, there are requirements for separation of illumination outlets in closets............

fatboy said:
Well, not allowing blank covers was taking license with the code, in my interpretation. Yes, there are requirements for separation of illumination outlets in closets............
The reasoning was that all junction boxes have to be assessable, inspectors said that clothes could be hung in front of the junction boxes making them inaccessible.

conarb said:
The reasoning was that all junction boxes have to be assessable, inspectors said that clothes could be hung in front of the junction boxes making them inaccessible.
OK, don't agree.........JMHO