• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Projections into residential garage

Chris_Sanders

Good morning-

I'm reviewing a residential addition, which includes an attached 2-car garage. My question: are there any requirements in the residential code for projections into the garage space? My situation: as designed, there's an L-shaped stair within the residence which starts parallel to the garage wall, then turns 90d and proceeds up to the "storage" space above the garage. Everything is fire separated - no problems there...but there is a sloping gypsum board box-out below the portion of the stair/stringer which occurs within the garage. The lowest portion of this box-out is about 60" aff.

I don't see anything within the Ohio code which would prohibit this situation, but thought I'd check with the experts. Thanks for your help!

Rick18071 said:
A long as there is 5/8 drywall under the stairway there should be no problems
6 inches on center

e. Type X gypsum board for garage ceilings beneath habitable rooms shall be installed perpendicular to the ceiling framing and shall be fastened at maximum 6 inches o.c. by minimum 17/8 inches 6d coated nails or equivalent drywall screws.

My son-in-law has a stair to a bonus room, from his third stall in his garage, and it is just high enough to sneak the nose of his 69 Camaro underneath it. Code compliant if the fire restrictive requirements complied with.