• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Uninsulated Building - COMcheck needed?

RiceEng

I am doing a code review for a local builder in WI. I have not done one of these in years. The building is un-insulated except for the ceiling. Do I have to do a COMcheck worksheet?

Welcome to the Forum!

What codes are adopted, what year? What is the buildings function?

IBS 2009, hope that is correct. As I mentioned I am just getting back into the groove of plan review.

The building is an addition to a fire station. It is an apparatus bay for fire truck storage.

Assuming that it is heated to keep the fire apparatus from freezing, and an energy code has been adopted; A com check is needed and Insulation will be required.

101.5.2 Low energy buildings.

The following buildings, or portions thereof, separated from the remainder of the building by building thermal envelope assemblies complying with this code shall be exempt from the building thermal envelope provisions of this code:

1. Those with a peak design rate of energy usage less than 3.4 Btu/h • ft2 (10.7 W/m2) or 1.0 watt/ft2 (10.7 W/m2) of floor area for space conditioning purposes.

2. Those that do not contain conditioned space .

It can be done by code. However I see frozen fire trucks in Wisconsin in the winter which is a lot more costly then the insulation and heat

\ said:
1. Those with a peak design rate of energy usage less than 3.4 Btu/h • ft2 (10.7 W/m2) or 1.0 watt/ft2 (10.7 W/m2) of floor area for space conditioning purposes.
Check the firemen's beer refrigerator, perhaps if they sit it in the new space they will comply.