• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

This sucks

ICE

Oh Well
Staff member
The larger pipes in the lower level are suction drains. There is a requirement that when the pool is done the outlets shall be two outlets on the same suction line a minimum three feet apart. That is done to prevent a person from sitting on one outlet and blocking the other outlet. The worry is that a person can be disemboweled. So the contractor immediately stated that another inspector approved the setup before it was gunited. I asked him if he knew that it is wrong. He said yes. Gunite is some hard stuff. But hey now, we don't send boys to do a man's job.

This kid probably drowned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, bad designs can kill......but pool/spa folks aren't used to worrying about code requirements.......

But, unless the jurisdiction has adopted the Pool/Spa Code, and actually enforces it, then most likely there is no protection, just sayin.......

Frank said:
APSP7 compliant drains now required 2 separate drains is obsolete method
Around here liner pools do not have floor drains and gunite pools always do. I have never seen a gunite pool that lacked floor drains.

APSP7 is obviously safer so I wonder why anyone would still install drains in the floor of a pool.

Drains in the floor of the pool make it much easier to clean and keep clean compared to pool it doesn't have them. I've seen both and there's no comparison. As long as the proper guidelines are followed there's no problem in having dreams in the bottom of pools.

Having a "dream" in the bottom of a pool could be problematic.......... :)

Having had my fun, I agree, drains in the bottom of the pool serve a purpose, and can be done safely.

Something that I should point out in defense of the first inspector is that there is no steel in the bench, When we see it at pre-gunite it is just a bowl and we do not know what they will do in the spa. The inspector is not at fault.

Well they did some work and called for inspection. The correction asked for 36" separation. By the time they plaster and install the anti entrapment drain covers there will be 26" to 28". This needs more work.