• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

is Black gas pipe permitted in crawl space?

Blessing1912

Goodmorning,

is black pipe permitted to be used for gas in a crawl space? the CPC defines indoor and below grade locations only?

thanks

I assume you mean steel pipe? If it properly protected from corrosion it is allowed anywhere I believe, and I don't believe a crawlspace would be treated any differently than a basement even though it maybe should sometimes...

The entrance into the building has to be above grade and then you can pipe down into the crawlspace and run the gas piping.

404.6 Underground penetrations prohibited.

Gas piping shall not penetrate building foundation walls at any point below grade. Gas piping shall enter and exit a building at a point above grade and the annular space between the pipe and the wall shall be sealed.

UPC has similar language

Generally yes, unless used as an air plenum. Standard usage for decades here, enters through foundation wall from meter outside. CSST is starting to take its place.

Coming in through the foundation has been in and out of the codes, will be voted on again in the upcoming public comment hearings in CA. As far as iron pipe in a crawlspace/basement, the current code does not prohibit it, although local amendments may, our County did, unless you installed a "sniffer" shutoff.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Q. Natural GAS? or LP?

See Mtlogcabin post #3 for prohibited location.