• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Front yard Forge

Status
Not open for further replies.
< @ >

Kearney.200,

Please provide some more info, ...such as:

Are you talking about a structure with a forge being

constructed in it [ an F-2 Occ. Group, Section 306.3,

`12 IBC ], or something else, and which codes &

edition are you referring to ?

< @ >

If you have to regulate it, you could possibly use Chapter 21 (Industrial Ovens/Furnaces) in the '09 IFC. Or if he's welding and cutting along with the forging, maybe Ch. 26 (Hot Work).

Personally - there's nothing in our local codes to prohibit it. If this is hobby work and not a home-based business, and he doesn't build a structure bigger than 200 sq. ft. to house the forge in, I'd probably make him set it ~10 ft. away from any house/garage and have a fire extinguisher handy, and then I'd forget about him.

Forge as in oven

Or

Forge as in open flame

What is the fuel

Will it be in an enclosure??

Not much different than a BBQ

More than likely a zoning / code enforcement issue

Is he trying to run a business out of the house?

Fire Marshall has said it is a fire risk '12 I codes
Then he needs to enforce the fire code and do his job

IFC Section 308 maybe applicable depending on the operation.

The owner could always move it to the back yard where the FM can't see it from the street

Kearney.200 said:
He has in his driveway of a duplex with a canopy over it not in any type of building our Fire Marshall has said it is a fire risk '12 I codes open burn and yes its a hobby thing
What is the fuel??

Man, you can't even go home from work and fire up the ol' forge anymore and melt some dam coins.

Recreation fire, 25-feet from combustibles, nuisance odors in your muni code if its there.

You know I keep hearing this banging in my head.

Wonder if the guy wears a kilt ???

I just drag mine out of the garage, pour coals on it and glare at the neighbors.

Why would you even tell anyone?

Brent.

Caution: Please be aware of flying embers when using a forge or fire pit while wearing a kilt! ;)

pc1

Pcinspector1 said:
Caution: Please be aware of flying embers when using a forge or fire pit while wearing a kilt! ;) pc1
He wears the fire reatradant/ osha compliant kilt

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Pcinspector1 Caution: Please be aware of flying embers when using a forge or fire pit while wearing a kilt!

pc1

He wears the fire retardant/ osha compliant kilt
I think Pcinspector1 was thinking of an updraft carrying sparks or embers into an unprotected area.

Kearney.200 said:
Other than my city codes is there somewhere in the I-codes that would relate to a forge being built in the driveway?Yes I mean a metal working forge.

any help would be appreciated.
As the personal owner of (5) forges ranging from gas, propane to coke I will say just leave him alone.

It's simply a question of safety, if he is showing proper use, the flames will be very small on coke forges, propane forges are no different than a BBQ grill except the hot box zone and head are made to focus the flame and heat to a very small zone.

I would be more concerned about the hot metal being placed on dry lawn than the forge itself.

Are the next door folks complaining about the banging on the ANVIL or is the person erecting rust color artwork they disapprove of?

I would say more of a zoning issue unless you are going to start coming down on BBQ grills, unless they hooked it up to the main gas line.

JMO - Not a code thing, as most forges are portable in nature.

TOM

tbz said:
As the personal owner of (5) forges ranging from gas, propane to coke I will say just leave him alone.It's simply a question of safety, if he is showing proper use, the flames will be very small on coke forges, propane forges are no different than a BBQ grill except the hot box zone and head are made to focus the flame and heat to a very small zone.

I would be more concerned about the hot metal being placed on dry lawn than the forge itself.

Are the next door folks complaining about the banging on the ANVIL or is the person erecting rust color artwork they disapprove of?

I would say more of a zoning issue unless you are going to start coming down on BBQ grills, unless they hooked it up to the main gas line.

JMO - Not a code thing, as most forges are portable in nature.

TOM
About my only concern with it in the front yard is a child curious about it and getting burned

There's a reason since I was five years old I don't put my tongue to a car cigarette lighter anymore.

Brent.

Status
Not open for further replies.