• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Understanding pipe sizing

Inspector 102

Silver Member
Given single family home with (2) 150,000 BTU/H tankless water heaters and (1) fireplace yet to be installed, the contractor has run 1/2" black iron to all appliances. I know this is way too small but am having trouble figuring pipe size needed. From meter to 1/2 tee, then 25 feet to first water heater, then 35 feet to fireplace. Other direction is 35 feet to second water heater. I see a total demand of 340,000 BTU/H potential with all appliances. Supply is natural gas at 1.5 psi I believe. How do I convert CF of gas to BTU/h calculation for pipe sizing.

2015 IFGC Tables in chapter 4 from table 25 and up are in capacity in thousands of BTU's per hour.

Thanks for the responses. Need to sharpen up on mechanicals more. The gas piping will need to be 1" piping and then can reduce down further in line after the first appliance. Most times do not have piping issues because it oversized, but this one threw me with all 1/2"