• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Schlage privacy lockset VS. traditional lockset?

n1976jmk

Privacy means it locks (for your bath and bedroom)

Passage means no lock (closets, etc.)

Entry is a keyed lockset

thank you for your response.

I am confused by this item for sale on Amazon.

I am looking for a lockset that can go on our bathroom with a lock on the inside.

I'd like this color combination as well: satin nickle/chrome (for the inside) with a lock on the inside

http://www.amazon.com/Schlage-F40GEO619-Georgian-Privacy-Nickel/dp/B0002YR188/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447351913&sr=8-1&keywords=schlage+georgian+bath+knob

And what confuses me is that the description is listed as 'privacy' and below though it goes to 'traditional' style.

Please help!

n1976jmk said:
thank you for your response.I am confused by this item for sale on Amazon.

I am looking for a lockset that can go on our bathroom with a lock on the inside.

I'd like this color combination as well: satin nickle/chrome (for the inside) with a lock on the inside

http://www.amazon.com/Schlage-F40GEO619-Georgian-Privacy-Nickel/dp/B0002YR188/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447351913&sr=8-1&keywords=schlage+georgian+bath+knob

And what confuses me is that the description is listed as 'privacy' and below though it goes to 'traditional' style.

Please help!
Good video explains different hardware

https://youtu.be/AFYXgYZucsA

Hi, this video was helpful. Thank you!

But it didn't explain what style 'traditional' meant.

Can you kindly explain that?

Thanks!

Guessing here, but 'traditional' may mean a knob on both sides as opposed to a lever style (which I guess could be considered 'modern')...

Where's LGreene, she's our door and hardware guru...

Yes thanks this is what I need help with.

What does Schlage mean in differences between style 'privacy' and 'traditional'.

Looking forward to that answer

Guess the question also should have been

Residential or commercial, but appears residential

And is this for personal use

Schlage offers two 'styles'; contemporary and traditional. The selector link I posted earlier walks you through the process of selecting the right hardware. Both contemporary and traditional styles come in knob or lever.

JBI said:
Where's LGreene, she's our door and hardware guru...
Here I am! Schlage calls some designs "traditional" vs. transitional or contemporary but I don't know why Amazon has it listed as passage, privacy, or traditional. Passage and privacy describe different functions (passage = not lockable, privacy = lockable from the inside, can be unlocked from the outside with an emergency tool not a key). There's no lock function called traditional.

I work with the commercial products, not the residential, so if the OP still has questions you can call Schlage Res customer service at 888-805-9837.

Hours of operation:

Monday - Friday 7:30 am to 5:30 pm (Central Time)

Saturday 9:00 am to 3:00 pm (Central Time)

Gang, gang, gang!

Traditional (as in round or knob (and not accessible) (think Baldwin?)) is a design term vs contemporary (as in modern style, lever or other non-knob device (usually accessible without grasping))

As noted by LG, hardware is usually described by function (use/purpose) and style (contemporary/traditional/period, etc.)

ADAguy said:
Gang, gang, gang! Traditional (as in round or knob (and not accessible) (think Baldwin?)) is a design term vs contemporary (as in modern style, lever or other non-knob device (usually accessible without grasping))

As noted by LG, hardware is usually described by function (use/purpose) and style (contemporary/traditional/period, etc.)
Actually Schlage has knobs and levers in both their 'traditional' and their 'contemporary' styles according to their website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know but two different finished more than likely not

Buy one of each and part them out to make one

Or call Schlage direct and ask

Per Schlage; Traditional style hails from 19th century European design and encompasses the Georgian, Federal and Victorian movements. Careful with these in commercial installations as most levers are straight, lacking an end return to within 1/2" of door face.

Contemporary is modern in appearance, some of these levers may also lack the end return too.

also note that springs in residential levers may not be as strong as in commercial hardware.