• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Design build question?

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Is it common to see that ME&P is listed as design build on a restaurant remodel?

Does the IBC give the designer the choice to submit a set of plans this way or is the AHJ allowed to make policy to have plans submitted for the ME&P?

You thoughts and comments!

As usual, "it depends". How simple or complicated is the design? Does the local health department get involved.

The complexities of many restaurants usually require the involvement of a food service consultant/designer who prepares the MPE plans based on equipment required.

Drawings are the purview of the AHJ...If an architect wants to draw a building they can, if someone else is doing the MEP's they can...I you don't "need" drawings then god bless you...

There should be nothing wrong with the MEP sub submitting these drawings, as long as they are properly sealed.

Food service consultant's drawings aren't usually sufficient. They give detailed information on locations & capacities of services to the equipment, but it's up to the MEP engineer to figure how to get these services to the equipment.

It may be listed as design build but the AHJ may require that all these designs be submitted and approved before the building permit is issued. Depending on the size, complexity and State law--- the MEPs may or may not require a RDP, if RDP not required they can be designed by the contractor.

As far as the AHJ is concerned the question is whether all submittals are needed at the time of permit issuance or whether there will be a deferred submission and approval of part of the work.

Mainly installing MC to new lights so there will be junctions and whips to the fixtures. Plumbing a wash sink and soda bar. HVAC new ceiling grills in a drop ceiling. Can't see where I need additional plans for this?

Each is an alteration of existing conditions and includes plumbing & elec. mods. Each must meet current code for new construction.

What don't you understand about permits being required?

In many states subs & owners can pull over the counter permits for these.

What don't you understand about permits being required?
There is no issue with issuing a permit!

I'm at plan review stage, the plans state MEP to be design build. Estimated cost is included with the permit application. Existing conditions may require changes, there may be unknown issues requiring the project to be design build.

What you have is not unusual for existing buildings. The city wants a record set to confirm what is being done and that it is compliant with todays energy codes.

Some owners believe it less expensive to do design build by the sub then to pay a M.E. to research and do a design that may not reflect concealed conditions.

New A2 I require MEP to be engineered. Small existing remodels I put my trusty stamp on the dwgs that states "MEP subject to field inspection and corrections"

BSSTG