• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Public Observation Tower

Our city is wanting to build a 3 story observation tower overlooking a marsh and lake area. My question to the group is: Am I the only municipal Building Official that would require this tower to be accessible to the public. Based on the 5th Edition of the Florida Building Code it seems quite clear to me that accessibility is required, however the resistance is pretty heavy from the other side.

It will be a lot less expensive to provide access now, rather than after the lawsuit.

I think you mean accessible to the disabled, it is clearly intended to be accessible to the public

Reactions: JBI
Agreed, a lot of ramps would be required. However in the past I visited a state park that had a similar structure with ramps built around the outer perimeter of the tower. It looked good and made the climb seem easier than steps.

Closest thing to an exemption I could find in a hurry....

1103.2.5 Utility buildings.
Occupancies in Group U are exempt from the requirements of this chapter other than the following:
1. In agricultural buildings, access is required to paved work areas and areas open to the general public.
2. Private garages or carports that contain required accessible parking

Closest thing to an exemption I could find in a hurry....

1103.2.5 Utility buildings.
Occupancies in Group U are exempt from the requirements of this chapter other than the following:
1. In agricultural buildings, access is required to paved work areas and areas open to the general public.
2. Private garages or carports that contain required accessible parking
If those are the closest you can find that it seemed quite obvious that the tower would need to be accessible. Which I was thinking anyway.

Agreed, a lot of ramps would be required. However in the past I visited a state park that had a similar structure with ramps built around the outer perimeter of the tower. It looked good and made the climb seem easier than steps.
Here in Louisville that took an old railroad bridge across the river and made it a walking bridge to go from Indiana to Kentucky. Great project but I did all kinds of shenanigans for accessibility. They built ramps on both sides because the bridge is almost 50 feet above the surrounding area. However, they built a ramp at 4.95% slope so they didn't have to put resting places along the way! It seems that 5% slope is the magic number in which you have to start putting resting places in. By being less than 5% you can just have a continuous ramp for any length you want. I have a power chair so it's not a major problem but with somebody in the manual wheelchair it could be a major obstacle!

Reactions: JBI
It seems that 5% slope is the magic number in which you have to start putting resting places in. By being less than 5% you can just have a continuous ramp for any length you want. I have a power chair so it's not a major problem but with somebody in the manual wheelchair it could be a major obstacle!

Yep....1 in 20 is a sloped walking surface...not a ramp....

Eagle Tower Repairs Could Push $1 Million
http://www.doorcountydailynews.com/...cle_a125a7e6-2840-11e6-9e3f-0be794b5446f.html

56cc7298af433.image.jpg

The price tag for a repaired Eagle Tower could potentially reach $1 million depending on Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance requirements. A specific plan for repairing and re-opening the Peninsula State Park landmark including fundraising initiatives will be discussed at a meeting next week. Door Property Owners Vice-President Kathie Vavra says the structure will be first assessed to see how much of it can be saved before it is dismantled

Eagle Tower has been closed to the public since last spring when it was deemed unsafe. The newly formed Eagle Tower Fund Committee will host their meeting June 9 at Old Town Hall in Fish Creek beginning at 7 p.m

Yep....1 in 20 is a sloped walking surface...not a ramp....
Very true but in a case like this when it's done intentionally to avoid having to comply with the ADA it should be illegal! In this case the "walking surface" is over 1000' long! The original plan for the project was to have an elevator to go from grade level to the bridge surface but instead they made the spiral ramp.

Built in 1932, ADA should only be a very small amount of any repair cost
While it certainly seems like the 20% rule should apply in this case it seems like the only alternative they are looking at for the rebuild is complete compliance. Maybe it's because they have to spend the 20% (minimum) on ADA improvements and there is nothing else to improve except making the top platform accessible?

I would understand recording 100% accessibility if they were completely new tower but just repairing existing one seems like it should come under a different set of rules.

I'm not sure a spiral sloped walking surface would be feasible given the limited dimensions of the structure. At a 1:20 slope they will only rise 2 feet for 40 feet of length. Assuming, based on the photo, that the widest portion at the base is maybe 30' at most (being generous with that estimate), that would be a 6' change in elevation for a complete lap around the structure at the base. Allowing for depth of sloped walkway structure that leaves less than 6' of headroom. And it gets narrower as you go up.
Perhaps a series of lifts? Go up one level, transfer to a different lift and go up one level, etc.
Or an elevator from top to bottom.
I'm just not seeing the math for a sloped walkway. But I do see the potential for an ADA lawsuit if they try 3 stories with no level areas along the way.

Very true but in a case like this when it's done intentionally to avoid having to comply with the ADA it should be illegal! In this case the "walking surface" is over 1000' long!

Not that I claim to be an ADA expert, but I believe it would comply with ADA. just like any other public sidewalk that was 1000' long and 1:20. Not the most user friendly thing, but it is a minimum standard....