• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

MA Sec 1013 Guards & Sec 1013.3 Opening limitations

KZQuixote

Sawhorse
I'm having a hard time understanding if windows above grade floor (R-2 occupancy) are required to have limited openings under the Massachusetts Building Code (2009 IBC).
TIA
Bill

I'm having a hard time understanding if windows above grade floor (R-2 occupancy) are required to have limited openings under the Massachusetts Building Code (2009 IBC).
TIA
Bill

Can you post a link to the code

Or post the section

I've checked and Massachusetts has not amended either of these sections of the 2009 IBC. Seems to me that any window sill less than 42" in height when the exterior surface is more than 30" lower than the floor would be required to have no opening larger than 4".
Sec 1013 Guards 1013.1 Where required. Guards shall be located along open sided walking surfaces, including mezzanines, equipment platforms,stairs,ramps and landings that are located more than 30 inches measured vertically to the floor or grade below at any point within 36" horizontally to the edge of the open side...
1013.2 Height. Required guards shall not be less than 42" high....
1013.3 Opening limitations. Required guards shall not have openings which allow passage of a 4" sphere...

Well you have windows and than you have 1029.1 Windows

Seems like the section does not mention Windows

Looks like the answer is No

The guard provisions do not apply to windows. The window fall protections do.
If a window sill on the interior is 24" or less above the finished floor, and on the exterior is more than 72" above grade, then the window fall protection provisions apply.
Guards are about falling from a walking surface regardless of age, window fall protection is (generally speaking) about protecting small children who could fall out of the window.