• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Key in lever locks allowed on public restrooms?

ADAguy

The Access Board has released a Chapter 3 commentary that includes comments on operable parts.
It says that keys are not required to be accessible but what of a keyed lever on a public restroom, if keyed then how is it accessible given that the cashier is in a secured enclosure.

Must not, if provided, a public RR be accessible? RR presently has a key locked lever set.

An your response MH is? It appears that the operation of keys (which are not fixed elements) by disabled users are their responsibility even if public RRs are required to be accessible. Security of the cashier is primary to providing assistance to a disabled person. The cashier can provide a key but its use is the users issue. Keyed lever must still require only a single effort to retract latch and open door.

Keyed locks are not required to be accessible.
If a person needs help, they need to ask.
just like a store, not all goods need be at 48 inches.
they need to ask

Reactions: JBI
I suppose the individual who cannot unlock the rest room door has no locks on their home or apartment that require keys?

They do but only the apartment requires accessible hardware but as previously noted the key is not fixed and therefore not required to be accessible.
However if the door is required to be accessible and a key is required to lock it then it seems that an alternate methods and means would be required to make it accessible. There are a number of accessible alternatives out there and readily achievable to install.

They do but only the apartment requires accessible hardware but as previously noted the key is not fixed and therefore not required to be accessible.
However if the door is required to be accessible and a key is required to lock it then it seems that an alternate methods and means would be required to make it accessible. There are a number of accessible alternatives out there and readily achievable to install.
Maybe in the "2525" ADAAG, if man is still alive, if we can survive.....

I guess I am not understanding what side of the door the key is. You have to egress a room without the use of a key, tool or special knowledge.

I guess I am not understanding what side of the door the key is. You have to egress a room without the use of a key, tool or special knowledge.

Door is perpetually locked on the exterior. A key would always be required to access the washroom, but simple passage hardware allowing egress from inside.

404.2.6 Door Hardware.
Handles, pulls, latches, locks, and other operable parts on accessible doors shall have a shape that is easy to grasp with one hand and does not require tight grasping, pinching, or twisting of the wrist to operate. Operable parts of such hardware shall be 34 inches (865 mm) minimum and 48 inches (1220 mm) maximum above the floor. Where sliding doors are in the fully open position, operating hardware shall be exposed and usable from both sides.
EXCEPTION: Locks used only for security purposes and not used for normal operation are permitted in any location.

Thanks Rick.
So, if I understand the security exception then, I can have a key in lever lock on the outside and require "all" users to request the key. If so, thought exempt, should the key be a paddle key and/or the operator provide/ offer assistance to disabled requestor? Should/must a sign be posted indicating key and assistance available?

Normal for gas stations with Minimates and only 1 staff at night. If left unlocked you can only guess at what can happen in them.

Korean Brand, SATO Lock, provides all kind of electronic door locking systems, technical security solutions products across the globe. Which is specially designed for the secure access control from theft. and it is operated by key cards. for more info visit http://sato.sg

Are there locks where you can put the key in and not have to turn the key but simply operate the lever door handle? I don;t know.