• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Two toilet paper roll dispenser - Horizontal

JPohling

Sawhorse
So I received a call from a Superintendent trying to get final on a project and the inspector has told him that we cannot use a two roll horizontal style toilet paper roll dispenser because only one of the rolls can comply with the 7"-9" to CL of roll requirement!!!!

We use these frequently, without any issue. My perspective is it is like any other item and we really only need (1) to be compliant. The other roll is a bonus.

Anyone have any code section that I can use to persuade this inspector? California project.

It is not in the code. I have accepted it with the second roll at 9". based on the theory that longer reach is the issue

Turns out he has a bigger issue with the 5" deep shelf that is a part of the dispenser. We are replacing with a double stacked roll dispenser. Stacked roll dispenser is a hair under 6" deep. ;(

I think you you can check out for better living products for toilet paper roll dispensers. I've purchased them and they save space and they look stylish too. They have horizontal toilet paper roll dispenser as you've mentioned.

Turns out he has a bigger issue with the 5" deep shelf that is a part of the dispenser. We are replacing with a double stacked roll dispenser. Stacked roll dispenser is a hair under 6" deep. ;(
What section of the code is violated by this?
There is no limit in 604.3.2 on the amount that a dispenser and/or shelf can encroach into the toilet's required floor clearance.
(There is a limit in 609.3 on how close it can get vertically to the the grab bar.)

If the dimension to setting the toilet paper holder is to the second one, would that be a problem with the first one being too close to the water closet? The second TPH being the farther one from the edge of the WC bowl. We also use the double type TPH on our projects. However, sometimes the Owner has their own paper supply company, who also furnish the dispensers which are usually not ADA compliant anyway. We tell the Owner that his vendor's supplied ones are not ADA compliant but it usually falls on deaf ears.