• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Length of grab bars

ADAguy

ADASAD specifies grab bars in bathrooms to be 42" & 36" minimum.
Am I correct in believing that they are measured out to out vs centerline to centerline?

upload_2016-11-16_12-17-25.png

That is a good question because the handrail extensions on ramps and stairs is measured to the inside before the returns to the wall, ground or newel post. [ref: ADA Figures 505.10.1, 505.10.2 & 505.10.3] The ICC's A117.1-09 has the same graphics but the stair handrail's bottom extension is graphically dimension wrong. ICC is aware of several graphic errors on handrails throughout the IBC Commentary and A117.1. Next printing I was told should have corrected graphics. I have talked to my ADA contact and was told that handrails are measured to the inside. As for the grab bars the graphics appear to be to the center of the return once you zoom in on the graphic.

I can tell you that the vertical measurement is to the top of the bar.

Seen, but what did DOJ mean?
What will the courts say if out to out, given no clarification by ADASAD?

from the manufacturer
Bradley10-Div10pg42-GrabBars2.jpg