• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

DIY- drywall

Q. Would anyone allow a second drywall layer over that patch job, how bout paneling?

Early in my career I saw a similar thing and it was actually a drywall contractor that did it on his own home. I think he did it on a bet that he could do a job without any scrap. He regretted it when finishing though. Someone told that story again at his funeral several years later.

I have seen lots of houses where the scrap was found between the studs on interior walls (including one I owned and discovered during a bathroom remodel).

I was brought in to finish out a home remodel once after some unexpected changes in personnel and when I asked the lady how she now liked her home and she said well enough but it always smelled like drywall dust. She hit the thermostat and I got a whiff. I checked a nearby register and found that all of the ducts had drywall scrap stuffed in them - lots of scraps too! She was a very difficult client for the short time I had in the project and I suspect that previous personnel had enough of her to do something like that.

I heard somewhere that there are now recycling centers for drywall scraps - has any one seen that happening?

Every job creates tons of drywall scrap.

I've seen the scraps in stud bays also.............haven't seen/heard about any recycling for drywall.