• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wall outlet behind blank outlet plate

Ryadalex

So i recently did some renovation work in my basement and did some wood paneling over the existing dry wall and just cut the boards around the wall outlet. Well the tv is wall mounted and just so has it the cord drops neatly behind the wood paneling and plugs into the outlet. My question is can i put a blank wall plate on the wood paneling covering the outlet with the tv plugged in to make it look nicer or do i have to pull the outlet, outlet box, and plate out or leave it recessed and uncovered? Covering it with the blank wall plate still makes it technically accessable correct?

Not only can the cord not go behind the wall , but the plug is serving as a disconnect and must be readily accessible .

c26-B001XQA352-1-l.jpg

tell Albert I didnt say the recep could not be recessed , I said the plug had to be readily accessible , that means no tools like a screw driver are needed to get to it . Behind the cover is accessible meaning that no building materials have to be cut to gain access . Look up the NEC definition of " readily accessible " and "accessible " . Tell Twain hello for me also .