• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Under-slab dryer vent

Thank you Francis

I guess I was not the only one with the idea. Although I disagree with the action
statements for denial Ad I will run tests on both gas and electric. There is always 2015

I went to Home Depot and you can't buy any plastic/vinyl flex ducting the dryer vent flex duct is rated at 450 degrees but the end of the line hood on the out side of the wall does have a screen.

How would you know the difference between flex dryer and air connector installed on the job?

IMG-20120728-00082.jpg

IMG-20120728-00083.jpg

IMG-20120728-00081.jpg

Francis

Francis Vineyard said:
How would you know the difference between flex dryer and air connector installed on the job?
IMG-20120728-00082.jpg

IMG-20120728-00083.jpg

IMG-20120728-00081.jpg

Francis
Instead of having the UL 181 label it should have UL 2158 A label on the package. I am going to check a couple of suppliers in the next couple of days. The one I am using on my dryer does not have labeling on the ducting itself. I am trying to find someone with a gas dryer to run temperature tests on to compare them with my electric.

Home Depot has on there web that the ones they supply are rated for electric but not gas. I am contacting MFG's to see if I can get more info.

I don't see a problem with PVC what is the length?
Codes state metal. As a dryer vent cleaner in the slab PVC vents are a terror to clean. The PVC creates static electricity as air moves over it, making lint stick to it more readily thereby creating a hazardous situation quickly. We rarely clean a slab vent that we do not get 5-10 gallons or more of lint out of it.
Also the vents, due to their configuration create a trough for water to collect in. A normal load of clothes drying creates over a gallon of water in condensate. That water must be expelled from the vent. A slab vent will collect it until it has to be suctioned out. I have removed 17 gallons of water in one vent after a couple years use. The vents ruin the equipment that is made to clean dryer vents due to the 4-90 degree turns. Builders who install these useless vents should be made to clean them and see how much of a pain they are to us and the homeowner when we tell them they need to be rerouted. Also your comment about why are the plastic ducts sold at home depot if they are not meant to be used as a dryer vent. The answer is this....plastic vents are ok for air vents such as bathroom exhaust fans but not dryer vents. The only reason they are in the dryer vent area is the workers at HD and Lowes do not know any better. They are the same size and vents-so why not? When you add heat to plastic it becomes brittle and develops a hole. I have a picture of such an occurrence but don't know how to post it. But common sense tells me heat and thin plastic do not go together.

$ : $ : $

Doug Ables,

Also, ...Welcome to The Building Codes Forum !

To be able to post pictures \ images on to this Forum,
one would need to become a Paid Subscription
Sawhorse !........I am encouraging you and others
to join and become Sawhorses.

FWIW, ...the term Sawhorse was selected by the
Forum owner and accepted by the membership.....It
is a definition that; IMO, ...seems appropriate and fits
very well. :D

$ : $ : $