• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator Lobby required or Not

Vlab20

Bronze Member
I have a Hospital (I-2 occupancy) 2 stories (111), Codes: IBC 2009 and NFPA 2012
We are looking to NOT provide elevator lobby spaces for our two elevators. HOWEVER we feel that we need to provide smoke control doors or curtains at the hoistway doors.
Our thinking is as follows:
As a hospital I have to have 1 hour separation at the floors and that includes smoke. So per IBC 407.4.3 Horizontal assemblies. Horizontal assemblies supporting smoke barriers required by this section shall be designed to resist the movement of smoke and shall comply with Section 712.9. so...IBC 712.9 Smoke barrier. Where horizontal assemblies are required to resist the movement of smoke by other sections of this code in accordance with the definition of smoke barrier, penetrations and joints in such horizontal assemblies shall be protected as required for smoke barriers in accordance with Sections 713.5 and 714.6. Regardless of the number of stories connected by elevator shaft enclosures, doors located in elevator shaft enclosures that penetrate the horizontal assembly shall be protected by enclosed elevator lobbies complying with Section 708.14.1. Openings through horizontal assemblies shall be protected by shaft enclosures complying with Section 708. Horizontal assemblies shall not be allowed to have unprotected vertical openings.

The client is taking the stance of the following:
708.14.1 Elevator lobby. An enclosed elevator lobby shall be provided at each floor where an elevator shaft enclosure connects more than three stories. The lobby enclosure shall separate the elevator shaft enclosure doors from each floor by fire partitions. In addition to the requirements in Section 709 for fire partitions, doors protecting openings in the elevator lobby enclosure walls shall also comply with Section 715.4.3 as required for corridor walls and penetrations of the elevator lobby enclosure by ducts and air transfer openings shall be protected as required for corridors in accordance with Section 716.5.4.1. Elevator lobbies shall have at least one means of egress complying with Chapter 10 and other provisions within this code.
Client is saying I am not 3 stories so no lobby is required. They have other facilities that also don't have elevator lobbies so they have been told by other architects that the lobby is not required.
Hoping someone on the forum can lend a helping hand to the above thoughts. THANKS.

407 is specific to the use group. 708.14.1 is a general requirement for all use groups.

An I-2 use group will need a smoke protected lobby

or meet the exception to lobby doors by providing hoistway doors that meet UL 1784. We are looking at smoke curtains that meet this requirement.